Piracy - The Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give a friend access to the keys to my car, he takes it, with my permission, and then breaks the law. Should I be fully responsible for his actions?
While your car could be confiscated (depending on what he did with it) ..... I do not believe you should be personally (directly) held responsible for someone else's wrong doing.

There is the thing called, "free will"..... I often wonder if anyone has ever heard of it?! Because with "free will" there is independent, self accountability.

However our world has become so "f*cked up" that guilt by association is becoming a norm. It needs to be corrected.....

If you assign 3 users, and they pirate directly due to access from your license, yes, you should be held fully responsible.
If I would have any assigned users and they get caught illegaly sharing addons I would ban them to doom immediately and apologize to the dev whose addon has been distributed. However that doesn't mean I should be stripped off my xenforo license. It's against most consumer laws.

If I would have any assigned users and they get caught illegaly sharing addons I would ban them to doom immediately and apologize to the dev whose addon has been distributed. However that doesn't mean I should be stripped off my xenforo license. It's against most consumer laws.

And that is your opinion.

That is why we are having this discussion.

I would be on the other end. I feel the owner is ultimately, in the end, responsible for who they allow onto their account.

I give a friend access to the keys to my car, he takes it, with my permission, and then breaks the law. Should I be fully responsible for his actions?
If he was drunk when you let him go, probably.

When I've asked for a ssh jailed shell from my hosting company, I had to give them my ID and signed a kind of contract. If everything goes wrong with my ssh account, I will be responsible. So if I share this ssh access, it's also my responsibility to do it with trustworthy people and to explain them how to protect the access and avoid any problems.

If you give access to your license to some untrustworthy users, yes you're responsible for what he can do with it. The same way you will be responsible if he breaks your website, installed a nullified version with some security holes, etc. Now the decision to take sanctions or not, will be the XenForo decision.

There is the thing called, "free will"..... I often wonder if anyone has ever heard of it?!
First another quick check:

Now about the "free-will", see here.​

If he was drunk when you let him go, probably.

When I've asked for a ssh jailed shell from my hosting company, I had to give them my ID and signed a kind of contract. If everything goes wrong with my ssh account, I will be responsible. So if I share this ssh access, it's also my responsibility to do it with trustworthy people and to explain them how to protect the access and avoid any problems.

If you give access to your license to some untrustworthy users, yes you're responsible for what he can do with it. The same way you will be responsible if he breaks your website, installed a nullified version with some security holes, etc. Now the decision to take sanctions or not, will be the XenForo decision.
I would be breaking the law if I gave him the keys and permission whilst he was drunk so that would never happen but he could have my car for a week and I would not know if he decided to take it out whilst drunk, still I would not be held responsible for his actions if he did this.

Who said anything about untrustworthy users? I may give access to friends but who is to stop them from doing something silly in a moment of madness and allowing a paid resource to be pirated or accidentally leaked into the wild? XenForo cannot at this point penalise me for the actions of someone on my account if they cannot prove it occurred on this site regardless.

Like I said before I am all for the prevention of piracy but most of the people who have voiced concerns over how the "club" wants to do it have been made to feel guilty or on the wrong "side". This is something I do not like seeing. Also I do not want to see XF get involved in 3rd party legal matters when they should be developing and catching up on lost time.

I would be breaking the law if I gave him the keys and permission whilst he was drunk so that would never happen but he could have my car for a week and I would not know if he decided to take it out whilst drunk, still I would not be held responsible for his actions if he did this.
If you still want to continue with this example, in France if this driver is not respecting the law and be caught, you will have to pay for him and will lost your driver license points.

accidentally leaked into the wild?
:rolleyes:... hey, come one, let's be serious.

And that is your opinion.

That is why we are having this discussion.

I would be on the other end. I feel the owner is ultimately, in the end, responsible for who they allow onto their account.
Yes and you too are entitled to your opinion. In the end, all comes down to how the staff decides. Speaking of staff, surely they need to make their voice heard in this thread.

If you still want to continue with this example, in France if this driver is not respecting the law and be caught, you will have to pay for him and will lost your driver license points.

:rolleyes:... hey, come one, let's be serious.
I am in the UK, I do not care for the laws of France as they have no meaning to me.

Whats stopping my friend from having his PC compromised by a virus/trojan and all his files being hosted on a pirate site? He could leave a USB key with the files on in a net cafe, his laptop could be lost. There are many ways in which licensed software can find its way onto the internet in a non purposeful way (ie not pirated). Maybe it was a bad choice of words.

On XenForo for users:
Two new users fields =>
"Do you want to allow third party developers to check if you're a licensed member: Yes/No" (Default is "No")
"Do you want to allow third party developers to access the list of your 'Associated forum users': Yes/No" (Default is "No")

Third party developers can choose to only sell members who have activated one of these options, members can refuse and don't buy the addon. Everybody can choose, the free-will is safe. Everybody is happy.

On XenForo for third party developers:
> Access to authorized data from a page of the forum to some third party developers
> Access via an API with authentication (via developer username and password)
I somehow managed to miss this post. Actually it's a very good idea.

No they still should not see my list ever period...if it is such a concern and you really want this api the only mid-ground is to make it so the api only auths for account owners....

You want a compromise that's the only one. 3rd party devs lose potential sales from associated people which apparently is a problem area for them anyways and the account owner has to lose the ability for their associates to download from third parties. Now you know exactly who bought your stuff and I still have my damn privacy with out being punished for not wanting to share who is in my list.

I'm confused as to why that is such a privacy thing... and a high priority apparently.

Either way.

Appreciate the input. Keeps the discussion open. Something has to happen... current procedures are severely flawed.

If you choose no for the second option, they won't be able to see your list. Your privacy is secure (at least if I got it right).
and then I get denied a purchase because I refuse to get to the back of the bus and just say ok here have my information...
I'm confused as to why that is such a privacy thing... and a high priority apparently.

Either way.

Appreciate the input. Keeps the discussion open. Something has to happen... current procedures are severely flawed.
My privacy is protected by law in the place I live...it is my business alone to let people know who I do business with.

If this is not a concern to you...than you should have no problem giving me your address...I mean come on it's not like its your SSN or anything....besides in case a developer rips me off I may need to go and file one of these...
http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I mean I just want to protect myself...surely you understand...and if your not doing anything wrong why would you object...and I thank you for your input.

and then I get denied a purchase because I refuse to get to the back of the bus and just say ok here have my information...

My privacy is protected by law in the place I live...it is my business alone to let people know who I do business with.

If this is not a concern...than you should have no problem giving me your address...I mean come on it's not like its your SSN or anything....besides in case a developer rips me off I may need to go and file one of these...
http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I mean I just want to protect myself...surely you understand...and if your not doing anything wrong why would you object...and I thank you for your input.

OMG. Rosa Parks...

really?

Ok, this thread has just run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom