Physician Assisted Suicide legal in Canada

Digital Doctor

British Columbia struck down their ban on Physician Assisted suicide.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/06/15/bc-assisted-suicide-ruling.html

In her ruling, Smith noted suicide itself is not illegal, and therefore the law against assisted suicide contravenes Section 15 of the charter, which guarantees equality, because it denies physically disabled people like Taylor the same rights as able-bodied people who can take their own lives, she ruled.

Hopefully, it will be across Canada in one year.

Comments:

If your dog has cancer you would put them down. It has always confused me why humans refuse to extend the same compassion to other humans. [Liked: 466 times]

I've never understood why it has been illegal. Over here you can refuse treatment, so you can die a slow and sometimes painful death, but doctors can't help you make it quick and painless. I can understand doctors not wanting to do this, so hopefully it won't become mandatory for doctors to perform this.

Here in the Netherlands Assisted Suicide is legal if you follow the law, there all sort of rules in place. At the moment its done at home but it can also be done in a special place where people can stay and say their goodbyes.

Top Bottom