XF 1.2 PHPBB to XF?

Stan

So I am currently running a site on PHPBB using no Rewrites. It is currently ranking pretty good on my keywords.. The DB is 4.5gb.

Total posts 1696258 • Total topics 989446 • Total members 20669

So my question is how will XF handle the large DB and import?

Next what will happened to my Google Ranks? What about the old URLs is there a way to redirect them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

XenForo will handle a board of that size without issue. The import may be slow, I'm not sure of a CLI or large phpBB import tool to speed up the process. I would suggest you run a few test imports to see how long it'll take and to verify the import is to your likings.

There should be rewrite rules out there already taht will redirect old to new links (if you keep IDs in a fresh install, the redirects become easier).

phpBB user here.

For redirect the old url into XF url, you need to use some htaccess rules. This is mine.

Code:
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|&)t=([0-9]+)(&|$) [NC]
RewriteRule ^viewtopic\.php$ /threads/%2? [L,R=301,NC]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} f=(\d+)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(viewforum\.php|viewtopic\.php)$ /forums/%1? [L,R=301,NC]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|&)p=([0-9]+)(&|$) [NC]
RewriteRule ^viewtopic\.php$ /posts/%2? [L,R=301,NC]

Of course, you need to change that rules so it can fit to your phpBB configuration.

Im using the default set.. SO for instance Forum Section is:

viewforum.php?f=23

and thread is:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1125398

Think your rewrites would work?

Finally finished the migration. Took 2 days to do the import but well worth it. Site is running smooth without any issues. Thank you Sheratan for the redirects.

I guess we got another BIGBOARD running Xenforo.. I would give the URL here, but it is Adult.

Thanks again all

phpBB user here.

For redirect the old url into XF url, you need to use some htaccess rules. This is mine.

Code:
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|&)t=([0-9]+)(&|$) [NC]
RewriteRule ^viewtopic\.php$ /threads/%2? [L,R=301,NC]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} f=(\d+)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(viewforum\.php|viewtopic\.php)$ /forums/%1? [L,R=301,NC]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (^|&)p=([0-9]+)(&|$) [NC]
RewriteRule ^viewtopic\.php$ /posts/%2? [L,R=301,NC]

Of course, you need to change that rules so it can fit to your phpBB configuration.
Hi!

I've added this code to my .htaccess before line </IfModule>, but it is not redirecting.

Well, I hope I understand the redirecting right. When I click on a link in search engine it needs to redirect me to the new board?

Hi!

I've added this code to my .htaccess before line </IfModule>, but it is not redirecting.

Well, I hope I understand the redirecting right. When I click on a link in search engine it needs to redirect me to the new board?

Please provide an example old and new thread URL. Then I can be sure about your redirects and provide exact instructions specifically for you.

Top Bottom