In related news, PHP 5.3.6 was also released[19-Mar-2011]
The wiki.php.net box was compromised and the attackers were able to collect wiki account credentials. No other machines in the php.net infrastructure appear to have been affected. Our biggest concern is, of course, the integrity of our source code. We did an extensive code audit and looked at every commit since 5.3.5 to make sure that no stolen accounts were used to inject anything malicious. Nothing was found. The compromised machine has been wiped and we are forcing a password change for all svn accounts.
We are still investigating the details of the attack which combined a vulnerability in the Wiki software with a Linux root exploit.
Hopefully it's safe to upgrade *sigh*[17-Mar-2011]
The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 5.3.6. This release focuses on improving the stability of the PHP 5.3.x branch with over 60 bug fixes, some of which are security related.
Security Enhancements and Fixes in PHP 5.3.6:
Key enhancements in PHP 5.3.6 include:
- Enforce security in the fastcgi protocol parsing with fpm SAPI.
- Fixed bug #54247 (format-string vulnerability on Phar). (CVE-2011-1153)
- Fixed bug #54193 (Integer overflow in shmop_read()). (CVE-2011-1092)
- Fixed bug #54055 (buffer overrun with high values for precision ini setting).
- Fixed bug #54002 (crash on crafted tag in exif). (CVE-2011-0708)
- Fixed bug #53885 (ZipArchive segfault with FL_UNCHANGED on empty archive). (CVE-2011-0421)
- Upgraded bundled Sqlite3 to version 3.7.4.
- Upgraded bundled PCRE to version 8.11.
- Added ability to connect to HTTPS sites through proxy with basic authentication using stream_context/http/header/Proxy-Authorization.
- Added options to debug backtrace functions.
- Changed default value of ini directive serialize_precision from 100 to 17.
- Fixed Bug #53971 (isset() and empty() produce apparently spurious runtime error).
- Fixed Bug #53958 (Closures can't 'use' shared variables by value and by reference).
- Fixed bug #53577 (Regression introduced in 5.3.4 in open_basedir with a trailing forward slash).
- Over 60 other bug fixes.