PHP 5.5 - Released

Can't wait for this to make it to Arch Linux stable repos, though not looking forward to changing my user cache yet again

Any word from XF developers about PHP 5.5 support?

YES. According to @Mike

Back to the original topic, I'm moving this to resolved. It's not exactly "implemented" and it's not exactly "no thanks" but in general we simply ensure that there's compatibility with upcoming PHP versions - I didn't run into any issues when I've tested PHP 5.5 so AFAIK this is met.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/php-5-5-support.41468/page-2#post-556520

I would agree with him as well. I've not run into any issues thus far on my end either.

Attachments

• php55-mike-xenforo.webp
    php55-mike-xenforo.webp
    86 KB · Views: 67
Me either, but who knows. When I upgraded to php 5.4 and vB4, I had many errors that I've discovered weeks later (and of course, I've fixed them by myself since vB4 doesn't support php 5.4). The funny thing is that they start to implement support for vB 3.8 and php 5.4, but drop the support for vB4. Makes sense? No, and this is why most of us here.

Installed on my Ubuntu Desktop at home

Code:
PHP 5.5.0-1~dotdeb.1 (cli) (built: Jun 20 2013 12:55:16)
Copyright (c) 1997-2013 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.5.0-dev, Copyright (c) 1998-2013 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.2-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2013, by Zend Technologies

What's the point of using APC if PHP 5.5 comes with ZO+?

It doesn't come with ZO+, you still have to compile/enable ZO+ for PHP 5.5 to use it. And properly tuned APC is still has fast as ZO+. APC Cache also has data caching which ZO+ doesn't for which some web apps I still rely on. It just comes down to personal preference :)

Last edited:
Also, seems to use a little less resources... The slight dip after the 24th is when PHP 5.5 was installed. Not sure exactly how much less since other things are running on servers too, but even a 5% overall load change on servers would be pretty significant since the bulk of the resources being used are for non-PHP stuff.

upload_2013-6-26_10-24-13.webp

Last edited:
Also, seems to use a little less resources... The slight dip after the 24th is when PHP 5.5 was installed. Not sure exactly how much less since other things are running on servers too, but even a 5% overall load change on servers would be pretty significant since the bulk of the resources being used are for non-PHP stuff.

View attachment 49985

Still having APC or not?

It doesn't come with ZO+, you still have to compile/enable ZO+ for PHP 5.5 to use it. And properly tuned APC is still has fast as ZO+. APC Cache also has data caching which ZO+ doesn't for which some web apps I still rely on. It just comes down to personal preference :)

May I know How?
I mean How to enable ZO+ for php 5.5.0

May I know How?
I mean How to enable ZO+ for php 5.5.0
This is what our config for it looks like (from php.ini file):

Code:
zend_extension = /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20121212/opcache.so

opcache.memory_consumption=256
opcache.interned_strings_buffer=8
opcache.max_accelerated_files=4000
opcache.revalidate_freq=2
opcache.fast_shutdown=1
opcache.enable_cli=1

Reactions: rdn
This is what our config for it looks like (from php.ini file):

Code:
zend_extension = /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20121212/opcache.so

opcache.memory_consumption=256
opcache.interned_strings_buffer=8
opcache.max_accelerated_files=4000
opcache.revalidate_freq=2
opcache.fast_shutdown=1
opcache.enable_cli=1

What do you have in your config.php?

So I guess if I would like to cache sessions, I would need to install a data cache?
Yep... truthfully, if I was in a single-web server environment, I'd probably use XCache over Zend Opcache just to keep things simple... opcode and data cache in one.

I'm in a multi-web server environment though, so I wasn't using XCache's data cache even when I was using XCache (I'm using memcached for that stuff since I need multiple web servers to access it).

Top Bottom