PhoneVerify: Account Upgrade Fraud Prevention & Spam Combat [Paid] [Deleted]

tenants

tenants submitted a new resource:

PhoneVerify: Account Upgrade Fraud Prevention & Spam Combat (version 1.2.1) - Prevent account upgrade fraud/forum spam with phone verification

PhoneVerify - Prevent account upgrade fraud/forum spam with phone verification

Telephone Verification service provides a way to combat online fraud & spam. This ensures that your customers provide you with a working, traceable telephone number. As a result, fraudsters are less likely to target your business. The process is automated for the merchant and easy to complete for customers.

How SMS Verification works:
  1. User visits the account upgrade...

Read more about this resource...

Couple of questions please ...

Is the phone number used for verification then stored into a admin defined Custom User field on the users account?
Is is possible to set phone verification per upgrade, or does it only action prior to show upgrades. If the later, does that mean the user cannot even see the list of upgrades (and thus pricing) until which time as they complete the phone verification.

nope.. it's stored in a separate table associated with the plugin
not everyone "needs" / "wants" that information, and this custom field might already be available (and come in various formats)
... you could set up a cron job to populate the custom fields from the plugin table.

Is is possible to set phone verification per upgrade, or does it only action prior to show upgrades.
Its a once only verification (once verified, the user is associated with the phone, so doesn't need to verify again)

If the later, does that mean the user cannot even see the list of upgrades (and thus pricing) until which time as they complete the phone verification.

That's a fair point, if you use this on the upgrades area, the upgrade area is not accessible until after verification (so pricing / information of the upgrades might need to be displayed else where... I'm thinking of changing this to display a "dummy underlay" for just the upgrade area (so upgrades and prices can still be seen underneath).

That's a fair point, if you use this on the upgrades area, the upgrade area is not accessible until after verification (so pricing / information of the upgrades might need to be displayed else where... I'm thinking of changing this to display a "dummy underlay" for just the upgrade area (so upgrades and prices can still be seen underneath).

I would/suggest like that it is part of the upgrade. So when I define an upgrade, I tick a box to activate PhoneVerify for this upgrade. When a user selects the upgrade, then they are required to complete the PhoneVerify process before continuing with the remainder of the upgrade process.

does that SMS work with "international" forum-users or just in the U.K. and the U.S. ?
As mentioned:
Both included message providers provide services to all countries worldwide.

But, this has potential to restrict countries (if that's what you need) by disallowing certain phone prefixes
That option isn't available yet but I will add it in the next version, since it could be useful for those that only want to sell their product / allow forum users to post if they are from select countries

okay, for this next update.. you have to appreciate, I'm adding close to a thousand calling codes (every country) manually (just to save you guys a few seconds)... the lengths I go to ;)

But it will make blacklisting/white listing country codes very easy (if that's something you want to take advantage of)

Suggestion :

Do something similar to the google auth SMS system (SMS verification on login giving you a code).

Suggestion :

Do something similar to the google auth SMS system (SMS verification on login giving you a code).

Hmmm, you would have to pay for that (paying for the SMS sent each and every time someone logs in)
I'm not sure many forum owners would be willing to pay for users logging in, but paying to prevent their PayPal account from being banned from fraudulant cards (and only doing once per user) is a lot more likely.

I can look at intergrating with Authy at somepoint (since they do offer this SMS authentication on Login, and you wouldn't be paying for each SMS)

okay, for this next update.. you have to appreciate, I'm adding close to a thousand calling codes (every country) manually (just to save you guys a few seconds)... the lengths I go to ;)

I think to remember that Clickatell has an excel sheet at their website with all that codes. If it helps you. ;)

I get the feeling its not highly sought after

It's one of those things like CAPTCHA that can get in the way... but, if you make a lot of sales via the upgrade area and you get quite a few fraud disputes (risking your paypal account getting banned) then it's fairly essential.

Is is possible to set phone verification per upgrade, or does it only action prior to show upgrades. If the later, does that mean the user cannot even see the list of upgrades (and thus pricing) until which time as they complete the phone verification.

Each upgrade button can now trigger the PhoneVerification (but a user only needs to verify once)... this now allows the user to see the list of upgrades (and prices)

Hi,

with this, can I make all new users to be phone verified upon registration? I am not referring to account upgrade

yes, use the option: Site Wide

See the 1st page workflow: "Forum Spam Phone Verification Work Flow"

This can be used for all users (new or existing)

Since this is permisions based, if your new user are all added to a particular group, you can just apply it to those users (and give your exising user groups "canByPassPhoneVerify" permisions)

Top Bottom