XF 1.4 Permissions

gavpeds

I am having a right nightmare!!

I have paid for three advertising addons recently all stating you can show ads to specific user groups. (i have also spoken to the add on makers)

I am starting to wonder if this is actually my site rather than the addons.

Basicaly i wish to show adsense to all members except premium and elite members. So i set it this way with the addon permissions. Show to all groups except those two. Yet those two groups still see the ads.

Presumably because they are still part of the main member group, yet the addon say that i should be able to exclude additional groups. I am sure this can not be an error in all three addons!?
Oddly i was using the rotating ads addon which seemed to work fine with the requirements above but recently this has also started playing up regarding permissions.

Could something have gone amiss with my forum/permissions and really need some help to fix this ASAP.

Sadly this has the same result. I can only think that this is because the premium and elite member group inherit permissions from the standard member group. Either that or something is seriously broken in my site. I am starting the to think the later, as mentioned this did not used to happen.

It seemed to just happen over night. I was using Rotating ads https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-rotating-ads.292/ with no problem.
I have adsense showing for all members except premium and elite members and sponsor ads showing to all members. Then premium members and elite members were telling me they were seeing adsense ads. So not finding anything obvious i thought i would try another addon but had the same issue, tried another addon and still the same issue. I can not figure out what is causing this. Can anyone help/have a look for me as i can not figure out why this is and obviously members are not to happy. I can disable them ads but then i loose out so i am not happy lol.

I would really appreciate anyone having a look for me.

I have just disabled all addons except the latest advertising addon and still have the issue.

Last edited:
Have a read here https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/ and configure your unregistered and registered usergroups. All users should fall inside the Registered group when registered as their primary group. Then make your Premium groups and set them all to 'Not Set' and only adjust the additional permissions that you want them to have WHICH the registered usergroup does not have.

That will give them all the access that registered users have and then additional perks that no other group has once they are moving into this as a SECONDARY group. Do NOT set it to remove them from the registered group as primary but simply to get this additional group.

Once done, if you restrict ads to usergroups with those add-ons it should work and restrict them for the ones you do not want to show them too. That is all I can think of, your usergroup is overriding anothers setting perhaps?

Brogan can probably explain that easier but read his guide.

Yes i use groups as they should with the standard registered group being the base and premium and elite members having just the additional benefits.

The problem is i can exclude premium and elite members from seeing adsense but they still see it maybe because i show adsense to standard member group and the premium and elite inherit permissions from standard group but as mentioned this didnt used to happen.

On my adsense I use this.

<xen:if is="!{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 3, 4, 5, 12}">
<code>
</xen:if>

However, my code is something custom so that might need to go elsewhere as I use it in a template.

Brogan's conditional works as I'm using basically the same thing on my forums. Adverts are shown to guests and to members who are only in the Registered group. Everyone else doesn't see the adverts (and I have my group permissions set in the recommended way so everyone has Registered as their primary group and permissions are cumulative).

I'd suggest the problem is with the add-on you are using.

Yes.
I will try to explain more clearly.
The addon has both permissions to disable ads in both usergroup permissions and on an per ad basis.

My Issue.
I show sponsor ads to all users and adsense to select groups so for adsense i have to set per ad rather than per group because if i disable ads for premium members from the groups permissions then they will see no ads at all including the sponsor ads which i need them to see.

I used to be able to just set per ad and worked fine then all of a sudden it all went to pot and i have no idea why. I did recently update to 1.4.7 but dont know if there was anything new in this regarding permissions. I have turned off all other addons to see if there is a conflict but still have the issue.

Brogan's conditional works as I'm using basically the same thing on my forums. Adverts are shown to guests and to members who are only in the Registered group. Everyone else doesn't see the adverts (and I have my group permissions set in the recommended way so everyone has Registered as their primary group and permissions are cumulative).

I'd suggest the problem is with the add-on you are using.
This is why i think it is something more to do with my forum/setup

As mentioned everything was working fine using rotating ads addon then it all went to pot so thought i would try another addon nope still same issue, then i tried another and still same issue again! So three advertising addons one of which i know was working just fine and two suggest this should work dont. The fact it was working fine on rotating ads then suddenly was not working suggests to me this is something outside of the addons thats causing this. Especially as i tried the conditional as well and disabled all other addons and still not working.

As I responded on your ticket, you will need to work through the user groups and permissions and try to determine if it's an add-on at play.

OK so I went through all my permissions and everything is as it should be. I saved each group anyway and now everything is working as should. Rather odd!

I suspect as some point your permission cache became corrupt, possibly due to an add-on.

Hence why I suggested toggling a permission in each group and saving to update any erroneous data.

Top Bottom