Permissions: Restore own thread, lock/unlock own thread

Rigel Kentaurus

Now that I am operating a forum, I am actually missing a couple of permissions.

1) Ability to restore own thread
There is a permissions for deleting own thread, but figures that once it has been deleted (soft-deleted), the author cannot see it anymore, and he cannot restore it should he need to. Only option is republishing or getting a moderator to restore the thread.

2) Ability to lock/unlock own thread
I did a small hack for closing threads older than 30 days, to prevent people digging old threads and spammers adding messages. However, I liked the fact that I could give the original author the privilege of unlocking their thread should they needed to revive them for contributions. That was really useful. As it stands now, that is not possible.

Upvote 26
+1

I run a tech support forum, where we kind of rely on users being able to close their own threads once their issue is resolved, only re-opening them if they need to. This makes our life much easier when scanning for issues. We recently migrated from vB, and were surprised to find that "Open / Close own threads" is not a native permission in XF.

For the moment I may use this:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/infisjsc-topic-starters-rights.24/

... but I hate running addons that hook in to core functionality like permissions.

-- hugh
Like the post to show support. (y)

Weird an addon is needed for something that should be part of the native forum permission but thanks for that link, will take a look into it.

Allowing our members to close/open their own thread helped minimized spam and unwanted posts by 90% based on our 16 years experience with other forum software. It also helped our moderators to do more since they wont be investing time anymore on deleting several pages of unwanted posts like 'first blood', thanks', 'up', 'bump', etc. when OP is away.

We also don't allow our members to delete their own threads 'cause there might be useful posts in the thread made by other members so we simply ask them to close the thread and use the report post system to inform moderators of their request for thread deletion.

Top Bottom