1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Permissions Question

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Joeychgo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Well-Known Member

Whats the purpose to adding a user to the Moderating usergroup when the permissions are drawn from making them a "moderator"
  2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Permissions are cumulative.
  3. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

Expanding on the above, it's not so much to grant them moderation permissions (which are given from making them a moderator, as you say), but to do other little things like adjusting their user title/banner and giving them access to use staff-only forums.
    Amaury likes this.
  4. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I use the moderating user group to give the moderating permissions to all my moderators.

When I make someone a moderator I do so through the ACP and tick the option to add them to the moderating user group rather than adding the permissions individuality. Doing this means that:

• I know all moderators have exactly the same permissions
    • It's easier (one tick box instead of many)
    • I can make a change to the moderating user group permissions (eg give a new permission) and immediately all moderators have this (rather than having to add it individually to each moderator)

Basically the moderating user group permissions I use for all Super Moderators. I'd only use the individual moderator permissions in the ACP if I needed a moderator to have different permissions from the others or for Forum Moderators (who moderate individual forums).