XF 1.4 Permissions Issue

Alexander Firth

I'm very used to setting up permissions for individual private nodes and I've never had any issue. I've just created a new node, set it to private and given permissions to the relevant usergroup. I did that again today, and a user then told me they couldn't access it properly.

I double checked I'd also given full permissions on that node for my own admin usergroup and tried to access it myself. I can view the forum, but I have no permissions to post. Nothing is set to revoke or never on any other usergroup, I just used the private node feature as always.

Any ideas?

perm error 2.webp perm error 1.webp

Use the analyse permission tool for yourself and the node. It'll show you the reason you can not post.

Also, from your permissions SS, why is everything set to allow? Ones already set to allow from another user group (ie: registered), should be set to inherent.

Use the analyse permission tool for yourself and the node. It'll show you the reason you can not post.

Also, from your permissions SS, why is everything set to allow? Ones already set to allow from another user group (ie: registered), should be set to inherent.
perm error 3.webp

They're all set to allow because it's quicker to just hit the 'all allow' button, and being admin there are no permissions I don't want to give myself :p

That screenshot is for node permissions, you need to look at the global permissions. I'll wager that you have Never set somewhere.

@Lawrence is correct in raising the issue of you setting all node permissions to allow. Really you should be using global permissions and only changing node permissions where they differ from the global permissions (doing otherwise can lead to all sorts of problems). I have private nodes and most permissions are taken from the user group permissions (global permissions) with the node permissions touched only when they are different.

That screenshot is for node permissions, you need to look at the global permissions. I'll wager that you have Never set somewhere.

@Lawrence is correct in raising the issue of you setting all node permissions to allow. Really you should be using global permissions and only changing node permissions where they differ from the global permissions (doing otherwise can lead to all sorts of problems). I have private nodes and most permissions are taken from the user group permissions (global permissions) with the node permissions touched only when they are different.

It's like this the whole way down:

perm error 4.webp

Regarding allow permissions, why would it be an issue if I want this usergroup to have every permission possible anyway? The allow permission can only overwrite... an allow permission. I can understand for 99% of usergroups, but on a usergroup that isn't supposed to have any 'no' permissions, why would it make a difference? I hope I don't sound rude, I just don't understand why it would be an issue.

I can understand for 99% of usergroups, but on a usergroup that isn't supposed to have any 'no' permissions, why would it make a difference? I hope I don't sound rude, I just don't understand why it would be an issue.
Fair enough in this case. It was mentioned because I've seen some admins getting in a mess with permissions because they are setting global and node permissions when there's no need to do both and there have been conflicts. :)

The global permissions seem OK. I notice that the node seems to be a sub-forum. If it is, have you set any Never permissions in any of the parent forums or category?

If not, does the issue still occur with all add-ons disabled?

I notice that the node seems to be a sub-forum. If it is, have you set any Never permissions in any of the parent forums or category?
Nope :(
If not, does the issue still occur with all add-ons disabled?
I'm not sure how an add-on would be responsible as it's just the one node this is happening with. I'm a little reluctant to test because it takes my board a good 15 minutes to re-enable each add-on, and I have dozens. It's a large database and would mean hours of essentially downtime :/

This may sound silly, but you have to cover all angles I suppose.. But you didn't set the node to private or anything like that when setting it all up?
Have you checked all the settings on the node itself?

Nope :(

I'm not sure how an add-on would be responsible as it's just the one node this is happening with. I'm a little reluctant to test because it takes my board a good 15 minutes to re-enable each add-on, and I have dozens. It's a large database and would mean hours of essentially downtime :/
It could be possible, depending on the nature of the add-on. Do you have any that could affect posting or permissions?

This is where it is highly recommended to have a test site that is a duplicate of your live site. You would be able to check out any issues on the test site without affecting your live site.

Top Bottom