Permission: Merge Threads

Alpha1

The permission to merge threads is currently part of 'manage threads'
Merging Threads can be a very destructive action. Years ago one of my moderators had his account accessed and all threads of a whole forum were merged into one mega-thread. The forum was lost. Later a new moderator made a mistake and merged a bunch of threads instead of moving.

This is why I would like to have a separate permission for merging threads.

Upvote 7
Merging threads is not unreversable, all you need are recent backups, binary logs and good knowledge of the schema :)

That being said, I don't mind having a new permission but I somewhat doubt that it would prevent such issues (apart from accout abuse) as most of the time they happen by accident, even with moderators that have several years of moderating experience.

I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion. Merging is essentially as destructive as a hard delete and every bit as fun to reverse. I would limit that function to Admins unless an "undo merge" feature is added.

Merging threads is not unreversable, all you need are recent backups, binary logs and good knowledge of the schema :)

That being said, I don't mind having a new permission but I somewhat doubt that it would prevent such issues (apart from accout abuse) as most of the time they happen by accident, even with moderators that have several years of moderating experience.

I don't suppose either of you could help with some how-to instructions for undoing a thread merger? I have a good backup to work from. Any help would be appreciated.

I also do not have the option to merge threads (I'm super administrator and I have permission to manage threads).

Any Idea how to fix this?

Last edited:
This is a suggestion thread unrelated to your support request. Please open a thread in the troubleshooting forum.
I don't suppose either of you could help with some how-to instructions for undoing a thread merger?
I wouldn't know how. Thats why I would like to have this functionality.

Until this permission is implemented you can use:

Top Bottom