Permission confusion

discoian

I'm a little confused by the permissions.

I've created a couple of forums and given admin permissions to do everything (I clicked on the "All" button on the green column) but I can't appear to be able to write posts, it says I have insufficient privileges.

Am I being stupid (probably) and do I need to sit down and read the manual for this properly (also highly probable).

Many thanks.

If you have Never set on the node permissions or for any additional groups which you are a member of then that will be the reason.

Never overrides an Allow.

All sorted :)

You didn't have "Allow new messages to be posted in this forum" checked for both forums.

I checked it and now the "Post New Thread" button is available.

Can I assume that if a user group does not have access to "view" a particular node that all other permissions for that group in that node are irrelevant?

Fab thanks.

Just one final thing, trying to understand the difference between "Never" and "Inherit" - I want my community to be pretty much private but allow people to view a "visitor information" community. I think I understand the principal behind the two different permission types but if the user "upgrades" to that of a paid member and their usergroup changes, they should by rights inherit all the permissions of that user group, but if I have some permissions set to "never", those permissions aren't given?

I guess i'm thinking of IPB's primary and secondary groups, I don't think XF has primary and secondary does it?

That's correct.
If a member is in 2 usergroups, if any one of the permissions is set to Never in either group, then that will override an Allow or Inherit from the other group.

Never should be used very sparingly as permissions are cumulative and a member can be in as many groups as you have defined.

Top Bottom