XF 1.2 Permission Combination Confusion

ibnesayeed

I have some issues in setting up content moderator permissions. If I set global "Forum Moderator Permissions" for "Manage (move, merge, etc.) thread by anyone" to "Allow" then content moderators of specific forums get this permission globally even in the forums where they are not assigned moderation duties. If I set the same permission in a specif node instead then they get no permissions. See the screenshot from "Permission Analysis" page below.

AnalyzePermissions-ACP.webp

While manual says:
Thus, if a user has not set (no) and allow for a permission, the final value will be allow.
Why is the final value calculated as "No"?

I think I have realized the reason now. I used to think that any permission item appearing under "Forum Moderator Permissions" section will be applied to only the moderators of of the forum in question. But I think this is not the case, correct me if I am wrong please. @Brogan @Jake Bunce

Now, the screenshot thing is clear to me. It was actually a Category node which cannot contain threads. But it would be nice if it was noted in the Permission Analysis tool. (A suggestion may be?) :)

Yes, that's the reason. If you analyze the sub forum, it's a yes?

Forum moderator permissions is not as you belief. It's just permissions that pertain to moderating a forum.

Yes, that's the reason. If you analyze the sub forum, it's a yes?
Yes! And that's why I realized it later. A hint there would be great though. Or possibly hiding those permissions from the places where they don't belong. :-)
Forum moderator permissions is not as you belief. It's just permissions that pertain to moderating a forum.
Yes! I realized that it is just a grouping of permission sets. :)

I did mention to Mike a few weeks ago about the permissions analysis and categories.

It's just something which needs to be borne in mind when using the function.

I did mention to Mike a few weeks ago about the permissions analysis and categories.

It's just something which needs to be borne in mind when using the function.
Thanks Brogan. I have used that functionality for the first time hence it took me some time before I came to this realization. I think a little hint text may be helpful for others. :)

Top Bottom