Performance between tmpfs and Redis/Memcache

Nuno

Hi

I'm a performance addicted and in my actual configuration for xf1.5 I store pagespeed cache and proxy cache in tmpfs and everything else in Redis.

Moving to 2.1, for guest cache I'm between Redis and tmpfs and for pagespeed between memcache and tmpfs.

Will I have any performance benefits storing these caches in Redis/Memcache vs tmpfs since both run in memory?

Note: this is a single node configuration.

Thanks

I like to keep caching as simple as possible, so I would opt for a single Redis cache. This way you have one system to monitor, purge and tune. Be sure to set timeouts for Redis, so things can fail gracefully in case it is down or saturated.

Also, I highly recommend testing real user metrics with and without pagespeed. On some sites, I found real user metrics worse with pagespeed enabled despite getting good scores.

I recently optimized a slow site that had all A's and 96+ scores on various test tools. After optimization, grades drop to C and scores to the 80's but RUM based metrics were up 35% and bounce rate s dropped. So I don't place too much value on synthetic measures of performance.

Top Bottom