Percona questions - InnoDB to XtraDB and performance benefits

karll

Is the InnoDB on Percona Server really XtraDB, so if I switch my XF board to Percona, I will get XtraDB without any extra work? Or will I have to manually migrate the InnoDB tables to XtraDB?

I have a VPS with 1G RAM, currently running Oracle's MySQL 5.5. Is switching to Percona a good idea? I don't mind the work involved at all, but unsure of the benefits.

You don't have to actually do anything. The XtraDB storage engine is basically their patched version of InnoDB.

You don't have to actually do anything. The XtraDB storage engine is basically their patched version of InnoDB.
Ah, excellent. Thank you.

What is memory usage like for Percona vs. Oracle's MySQL? Will Percona eat up my limited amount of memory?

The vast amount of XF tables are InnoDB, but a few that sound crucial for performance (to do with sessions and searching) are MyISAM. I've read that MariaDB does a better job with MyISAM ...

Any and all thoughts on this are welcome!

It won't use any more memory for the InnoDB tables than the Oracle version does. I use all 3 versions on different servers I have, and loading the same DB into all 3 of them shows the same usage. MariaDB has the XtraDB plugin provided by Percona, plus their own MyISAM improvements.

The vast amount of XF tables are InnoDB, but a few that sound crucial for performance (to do with sessions and searching) are MyISAM

There shouldn't be any MyISAM tables in xenforos database and there is absolutely no need for them. If you have some (happens some times with some badly coded add-ons), you should convert it to InnoDB asap. The only other table engine used by XenForo is "Memory" for the session table.

Reactions: Xon
There shouldn't be any MyISAM tables in xenforos database and there is absolutely no need for them. If you have some (happens some times with some badly coded add-ons), you should convert it to InnoDB asap. The only other table engine used by XenForo is "Memory" for the session table.
There are 3 default MyISAM tables within XF

xf_search_index
xf_session
xf_session_admin

Top Bottom