Lack of interest Per-user option to disable graphical smilies?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

EricS

Would you consider implementing a per-user setting that would allow users to opt-out of displaying graphical smileys in posts (and auto-parsing them during composition)? Other forum software I've used has this option, and some folks (including me) really prefer it : )

For now, I found the following code snippet that @Brogan posted, could this be adapted to add to a forum's custom code to enable this type of feature?

PHP:
<xen:if is="!@ctaFtEnableSmilies">
.ctaFtThreadText img.mceSmilie,
.ctaFtThreadText img.mceSmilieSprite
{
    display: none;
}
</xen:if>

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Another thing I was thinking of is a per-user option to disable the 'are you sure you want to mark forums read' confirmation dialog, that gets a little painful (especially on mobile devices).

I was also wondering if there is any setting/addin that would let the user control the size of an image link/upload, right now you only have the option of thumbnail (pretty small) or full size (often so huge it's hard to see the whole picture if you view the forum on a maximized browser window with large widescreen monitor). It would be really nice to have something like gmail, where you can select between a few different sizes...

Thanks all!

Another vote for this feature from me. It's important for accessibility. Photosentive people need to be able to disable animated images (some disable static images too as simply scrolling a page with many colors can be problematic). They don't always have the luxury to make a global change to the way their browser handles images, so having an option in the forum is necessary.

Popping in to ask if this will work to disable smilies on a per user basis? My forum deals with many older people that have an issue with some animated smilies but I don't want to disable them across the board, just make them not appear for some people. Is that possible? Like put them in a special usergroup that can't see gifs?

The biggest problem I see with a request like this is that are you going to just block the image itself? If so, that could cause some problems because frequently those smilies are used in place of words. I guess what could be done is instead of displaying an animated image, only display a static image if a preference setting was set?

The biggest problem I see with a request like this is that are you going to just block the image itself? If so, that could cause some problems because frequently those smilies are used in place of words. I guess what could be done is instead of displaying an animated image, only display a static image if a preference setting was set?
What I've seen in other forum frameworks is that the smiley code is displayed as text, which works quite well :thumbsup

So, two years later and I'm wondering if it is possible with the latest version of Xenforo (or any available modifications) to disable smilies on a per user basis? This is the only issue preventing me from migrating my existing forums to Xenforo.

Almost two more years later and still wondering. I understand a new version of XF was released. Any chance it gives users complete control over image rendering (including smilies)?

Top Bottom