• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
People You May Know

People You May Know 1.0.3

No permission to download
people, you, may, know, sidebar

Eagle

Eagle submitted a new resource:

People You May Know (version 1.0.0) - Like Facebook or Myspace, this mod will display random people from the site with the title, "People

Like Facebook or Myspace, this add-on will display random people from the site with the title People You May Know.

-Number of members
-Displays usernames with Tooltip
-Displays members with avatars only
-Random people (People You May Know)

How to install this add-on the following steps
Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I wondered this...

It's actually just random.

Would be interested to see how this works on a big board. It uses ORDER BY RAND() which can be a little bit dodgy when dealing with lots of records.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
It actually runs ok on a board with about 13,000 members to choose from.

Very good idea.

I hope you'd consider enhancing it in the future, to add the ability to base it on those who have replied to you on the site, or liked your posts.
This should be the highest priority. It's not really anything more than a random user block unless there's some logic behind it like this.

Eagle

So it's just a random user selection?
Yes.
I wondered this... It's actually just random. Would be interested to see how this works on a big board. It uses ORDER BY RAND() which can be a little bit dodgy when dealing with lots of records.
Of course it's actully just random but displays members with avatars only and guests can't see it. So, I've tested it in a big forum (14,536 members) and there is no problem however you said, "a little bit dodgy", I can't understand where the problem is?
Very good idea. I hope you'd consider enhancing it in the future, to add the ability to base it on those who have replied to you on the site, or liked your posts.
Thank you, I will try it :)
It actually runs ok on a board with about 13,000 members to choose from. This should be the highest priority. It's not really anything more than a random user block unless there's some logic behind it like this.
I understand but believe me it's just a random user selection. I've described that "random" word to "People You May Know" sentence and I just thought it would be useful. You know, this is a new add-on but could be improved more..

Eagle

Eagle updated People You May Know with a new update entry:

Updated for XenForo 1.2 and new features

Now updated for XenForo 1.2
I've tested it and it is really good and stable with XenForo 1.2 version.
PS if you're still using XenForo 1.1.x then no need to update.

Added some new features
-Minor bugs has been fixed.
-Avatar Mode (this option to display People You MayKnow with avatars)
-User ID's to exclude (user ID's to exclude, this should be used to stop user showing)
-User group ID's to exclude (user group ID's to exclude, this should be used to stop user group showing)
Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

Alien

Would still love to see this improved according to the criteria I mentioned earlier in the thread.. Been a year, figured I'd revisit it and see if you had any further update plans...

Eagle

Eagle updated People You May Know with a new update entry:

Few Changes

If you still using this add-on, please do not upgrade. First, remove old version (remember to you added manual code in forum_list template remove it too) and install this add-on again. Because there are a few changes.

-Minor bugs fixes.
-Added automatic template modification.
-All add-on folders/files has been moved to the Eagle folder now.
Read the rest of this update entry...

kankan

Are you considering adding logic into this add-on in future?
Example: users who have replied to X's thread
Users who follow the same people X follows
Or based on customized field (registration), so that member can reach other member with same interests or common stuffs.