paying subscribers and earning money from a Forum?

logo.gif

http://hivemail.com/

I think hotmail,gmail,yahoo mail all reduced the demand for hivemail.
That looks very cool. But 99% of mine just forward, still might be a good way to manage them. Thanks! You too -GR-

still wondering that people paying you $50 per year for such a service.... must be a heck of a domain you have?
is it possible to see how you advertise this service, like e.g. the wording you have for this ? Thanks!

still wondering that people paying you $50 per year for such a service.... must be a heck of a domain you have?
is it possible to see how you advertise this service, like e.g. the wording you have for this ? Thanks!

Just remember they're not really paying for the email address, they're paying to support the site.

I have almost 600 paying subscribers on my forum. This is up almost 20% from this time last year. Last year was up 25% from the year before that.

Members can access free areas forever, if they wish. The free areas cover a reasonably good range of the topic. Paid areas cover the more detailed and technical areas; the higher-end cost part of the hobby. Although I have over twice as many free members, as best I can assess, the paid members post more. For the most part they are the more committed community members.

One of the things members treasure most is the social aspect of the group conversation, and the consistent visibility - and quite frankly, moderating of out-of-line behavior. Email doesn't keep all replies together, people reply out of order, as it were. Someone is always getting left off a reply here and there. And new voices are not able to opt into an email exchange. Those are the reasons people come to a forum rather than emailing their friends.

I hang out at AudioKarma, and paid subscribers get a badge under their username, plus access to a subscribers area called Barter Town. I believe they get a couple of other perks also.

On one big board I run, we have a Marketplace area where members need to be signed up for at least 90 days, and have at least 50 posts, before they can even see the Marketplace area. We had problems in the past with members joining only to peddle their junk. We even still get a few, but the community aspect of the site tends to drive them away if they are peddling junk.

That is one area where having a paid subscription is nice--you can lock certain areas, making them available only to certain members who are serious about the forum, and can be more trustworthy in buying/selling items to fellow members. This is the idea behind what AudioKarma does on their site.

I had considered it to help raise money for my sites, but I'm having good enough success with Viglink that after I rejuvenate my sites and the money rolls in, I will be covered. However, I had considered offering a subscription, where members would get the ability to change their user title, upload attachments, get a few limits raised, and I even toyed with a subscribers-only marketplace. It still may have a spot on my forums in the future, but it is no longer a necessity.

Top Bottom