Resource icon

Partial IP Searching 1.0.0

No permission to download

Beardy

Beardy submitted a new resource:

Partial IP Searching - Add partial/wildcard IP searching for users.

About
Gives Admins the ability to search for IP partials/wildcards. Supports "starts with" and "ends with" searching.

Usage
An asterisk (*) must be placed at the start or end of an IP in 'ACP->Users->Search for Users->Search by IP Address'.

If the IP doesn't contain an asterisk at the start/end of an IP, it will default to the original search method. ...

Read more about this resource...

This search runs rather slow across 8 million posts. In vB, what we did was add an index to the Posts (?) table (and/or maybe one or two others, I don't remember), which greatly improved the search speed. (We're talking 15-20 minutes vs. 30 seconds.) I'm wondering if I add another index if it would speed up the search...or perhaps there may already be an index in place.

This search runs rather slow across 8 million posts. In vB, what we did was add an index to the Posts (?) table (and/or maybe one or two others, I don't remember), which greatly improved the search speed. (We're talking 15-20 minutes vs. 30 seconds.) I'm wondering if I add another index if it would speed up the search...or perhaps there may already be an index in place.

The staff tried it on a few IPs and reported that the search was as fast, if not faster, than what vB used to do. I'm thinking there may already be an index in place. I have to remember, too, that we have 8.6 million posts to sort through. :D

The staff tried it on a few IPs and reported that the search was as fast, if not faster, than what vB used to do. I'm thinking there may already be an index in place. I have to remember, too, that we have 8.6 million posts to sort through. :D

So is the speed running fine now? When I was developing the add-on I was dealing with a test server, so I had nearly no IPs to try it with and I'd hoped it would scale well with tons to search through. If need be, I might look into getting it to cache the results in some way which may reduce the server load, but I'd figured sooner or later wildcard searching would be added as a core feature and the devs would find a more optimized way of handling it, and so I didn't really think about optimizing it a whole lot.

Is this add-on compatible with XF 1.2?

If no changes have been made to the IP column in the users table, then it should be fine with 1.2, but I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it on the newest version.

Easiest way to find out would be to install it and try it (on a test server if you're worried about potential data-loss). I'm on my phone right now so I can't check myself.

So is the speed running fine now? When I was developing the add-on I was dealing with a test server, so I had nearly no IPs to try it with and I'd hoped it would scale well with tons to search through. If need be, I might look into getting it to cache the results in some way which may reduce the server load, but I'd figured sooner or later wildcard searching would be added as a core feature and the devs would find a more optimized way of handling it, and so I didn't really think about optimizing it a whole lot.

The staffers who have used it on our big board told me that it actually runs faster than the IP search we had in vB 3.7 just prior to our conversion. For vB, I had added an index to the appropriate table, which cut the search time down to under a minute or two. Prior to that (several years ago, actually), there was no index and the search would take 10-15 minutes, dragging down the whole forum with it! This tweak was in the vb.org forum, if I recall.

I think based on what it's doing, the search speed is fine. The only way I could think of to speed it up would be to index the data in ElasticSearch. But seeing it is not an everyday or constant-use search, leaving it as-is should be OK.

Top Bottom