• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[PAID] Need Media Wiki to XenForo Bridge

• Thread starter Thread starter tambling
  • Start date Start date
T

tambling

PAID WORK
-----------------------
UPDATE: We would be happy with a basic way to manually import Usernames/Passwords into XenForo. Can anyone help with this? We can do a more integrated 'bridge' later.

------------------------------------
Looking to hire someone to help us integrate XenForo into our MediaWiki user data base, so that all the MediaWiki usernames and passwords are automatically imported into XenForo. Developing a single login function (initiated from MW) would also be great.

The important thing is our MediaWiki users can enter our XenForo forum smooth and bug free.

We have a great MediaWiki coder and hoping a XenForo coder can help collaborate to expedite this project.

Thanks.

Looking to hire someone to help us integrate XenForo into our MediaWiki user data base, so that all the MediaWiki usernames and passwords are automatically imported into XenForo. Developing a single login function (initiated from MW) would also be great.

The important thing is our MediaWiki users can enter our XenForo forum smooth and bug free.

We have a great MediaWiki coder and hoping a XenForo coder can help collaborate to expedite this project.

Thanks.
The only insight I can shed on this is that the library/XenForo/Authentication folder holds new authentication schemes. It should be easy to copy the MediaWiki password hashing algorithm and then when you import your MediaWiki users you can opt to use that algorithm for them users.

Once you've done that, all that's left to do is to carry sessions across!

The only insight I can shed on this is that the library/XenForo/Authentication folder holds new authentication schemes. It should be easy to copy the MediaWiki password hashing algorithm and then when you import your MediaWiki users you can opt to use that algorithm for them users.

Once you've done that, all that's left to do is to carry sessions across!

Hi James

How do you make Xenforo "opt to use that algorithm"? I am tambling's mediawiki guy, and I just installed Xenforo and actually had been poking around in the Authentication folder, but the examples like vbulletin didn't really help me understand what was going on.

Could you be more specific when you say "carry sessions across".. do you mean across domains? luckily the forum and wiki are on the same domain and subdomain so no worries there

Thanks

The only way that the algorithms are selected at current (as far as I know) is during the import process. Take library/XenForo/Importer/vBulletin as an example, line 762:
Code:
'scheme_class' => 'XenForo_Authentication_vBulletin'

Naturally you'll create a file called MediaWiki in the Authentication folder and when creating your importer your scheme class will be XenForo_Authentication_MediaWiki.

As for the sessions, if you log in to MediaWiki by default, you won't automatically log into XenForo despite them being on the same domain. You'll have to edit your MediaWiki (and probably XenForo) to check if the user is logged into the other one first (if that makes sense?)

Yes, we want to modify xenforo to check if the user is logged into Mediawiki. Is that what an "Importer" will help do? I need to get acquainted with the framework first I think ;)

You might also mention this project somewhere on the Mediawiki forums.
I am sure there are lots of people wanting an excellent forum to go along with their MediaWiki.

There is definitely a need in the MediaWiki space. The highest priority is to simply import the Usernames/Passwords from MediaWiki into XenForo. We can tweak and develop more elaborate bridging features over time. Would be great to find a freelance coder with XenForo experience.

I have merged and moved your threads to the add-on requests forum, which is the correct forum for requests such as this.
Thanks for helping to compile these threads Brogan. You have been so helpful since my first Pre-Sales question last week! And while it would be lovely to create a full featured add-on, our main priority (for starters) is to simply import the Usernames from MediaWiki into XenForo. That's not really an Add-On is it? "Resource Requests" seems more appropriate? Just trying to find a freelance coder that knows their way around XF. Any other suggestions on where else we might look or how to best word this job posting?

I've moved it to resource requests, but any such work is more than likely going to take the form of an add-on.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you mean the author of the blog.grik.net did not adhere to Xenforo coding standards?
Here is example of his integration of XenForo sources with Yii framework:

http://www.kisekimanga.com/
http://www.kisekimanga.com/forum/index.php

We are still looking for help!
I just want to be able to start using XenForo with my online classes. (hopefully before the Summer quarter is over, so we can test with live students)

Thanks for the heads up. Do you mean the author of the blog.grik.net did not adhere to Xenforo coding standards?
Here is example of his integration of XenForo sources with Yii framework:

http://www.kisekimanga.com/
http://www.kisekimanga.com/forum/index.php

We are still looking for help!
I just want to be able to start using XenForo with my online classes. (hopefully before the Summer quarter is over, so we can test with live students)
It does not follow any coding standards. You can find SQL in controllers and lots of undocumentes functions.

More that the statement that it doesn't follow coding standards is false, and most things are documented (within the code). While there isn't any true go-to documentation (eg vBulletins Documentation), it is still easy enough for developers to figure things out if they have the time to currently (Onimua is an example of this; LN Blog was written entirely by digging into the code and learning how things work).

Thanks for the clarification Forsaken.
It would be great to find a developer that has already 'figured Xenforo out,' so we don't need to re-invent the wheel. Perhaps it is 'easy enough' for our developers figure things out IF, as you stated, "they have the time." Maybe you are right, and our team just needs to block out some time, hunker down, and sift through the XenForo code. Until then, if there are any XenForo coders in the house, please contact me if you are available to work on this project.

It's funny, XenForo was not even in my VOCABULARY until a few days ago. Now I constantly live and dream about XenForo! :)

Thanks for the clarification Forsaken.
It would be great to find a developer that has already 'figured Xenforo out,' so we don't need to re-invent the wheel. Perhaps it is 'easy enough' for our developers figure things out IF, as you stated, "they have the time." Maybe you are right, and our team just needs to block out some time, hunker down, and sift through the XenForo code. Until then, if there are any XenForo coders in the house, please contact me if you are available to work on this project.
I wasn't implying laziness or anything (My partner doesn't have much time to go through code, so we've put off most of what we've had planned till docs are available for example), but its more that people tend to criticize before becoming familiar with something.

Not sure whether or not he's busy or not, but XFRocks is already familiar with creating a bridge between XF and Mediawiki, so chances are he'd be able to do what you're wanting, and is probably the best bet for what you need. The biggest issue you'd have finding a developer to take the job is having one that is familiar with both platforms (XenForo and Mediawiki).

Thanks Forsaken. I sent a PM to XFRocks a$king for help.
I can't wait until your Xenique goes live and we can discuss styling our forum!

Thanks Forsaken. I sent a PM to XFRocks a$king for help.
I can't wait until your Xenique goes live and we can discuss styling our forum!
Xenique is already live, just the front is being done (I actually just discovered that when you said it o_O).

Top Bottom