Add-on [PAID] Increase node title character limit from 50 to 100

PRODOS

Greetings.

I am a new XenForo forum owner.

I've discovered that the node title character limit on a XenForo forum is 50.

I would like to increase it to 100 if possible.

I applied the hack suggested at this thread:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/forum-title-character-length-help.36251/#post-800079

This works fine, but I'm told it will get overwritten whenever there is a XenForo upgrade.

Is it possible to have an add-on created that prevents the hack from being overwritten?

Would a $60 fee suffice for this? (Of course I'm happy for the add-on to then be made available to other XenForo users -- either for free or for a fee to its creator.)

Thanks for your consideration.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

Last edited:
The field that you modified is unlikely to change in future XenForo versions. However, if for some reason it changes, it may be possible that titles with over 50 characters get cut off if they don't have enough space in the new field format. For example, if in a future XenForo version, the title field gets update to varchar(80), titles with over 80 characters may get cut off.

I don't think there could be anything that an addon can do in order to prevent this and that's the reason why I don't understand your request. If you have a more precise request I may be able to help you fulfill it.

Last edited:
Greetings JulianD.

Thanks for your interest in my request.

The field that you modified is unlikely to change in future XenForo versions. However, if for some reason it changes, it may be possible that titles with over 50 characters get cut off if they don't have enough space in the new field format. For example, if in a future XenForo version, the title field gets update to varchar(80), titles with over 80 characters may get cut off.

I don't think there could be anything that an addon can do in order to prevent this and that's the reason why I don't understand your request. If you have a more precise request I may be able to help you fulfill it.

So, from what I understand, if a future version of XenForo changes something in the database, an add-on can't really do anything about that. Correct?

However, what about the other part of Jake Bunce's hack?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/forum-title-character-length-help.36251/#post-412640

This involves going to the file: library/XenForo/DataWriter/Node.php
... and changing 'maxLength' => 50 to 'maxLength' => 100

What I've been told by one XenForo user (if I've understood him correctly) is that after an upgrade the node titles will appear as truncated, but once the 'maxLength' is restored to "100" the titles will regain their full length of text.

Do you agree with that?

If so, can an add-on ensure that the 'maxLenth' remains at a 100 even after an upgrade?

Or that ... after an upgrade, by merely (let's say) clicking a box within the Admin Control Panel the 100 character limit can be easily restored without having to open up and edit the library/XenForo/DataWriter/Node.php file?

What about something along those lines?

I look forward to your further thoughts.

Thanks.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

This involves going to the file: library/XenForo/DataWriter/Node.php
... and changing 'maxLength' => 50 to 'maxLength' => 100

What I've been told by one XenForo user (if I've understood him correctly) is that after an upgrade the node titles will appear as truncated, but once the 'maxLength' is restored to "100" the titles will regain their full length of text.

Do you agree with that?
Whenever there is an upgrade to the forum's software it will happen.
The new file included in the upgrade will overwrite the edited old file.

Howdy whynot.

Whenever there is an upgrade to the forum's software it will happen.
The new file included in the upgrade will overwrite the edited old file.

Thanks for your comment.

Is it correct, however, that once the library/XenForo/DataWriter/Node.php file is again modified, all the "over 50 characters" node titles will return to what they were before the upgrade -- provided the upgrade didn't also change the relevant database column (or whatever it's called)?

Thanks for any further thoughts.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

Announcement: Add-on to be created by Nobita.Kun

Thank you to everyone who responded to this request -- both on this thread and by private message.

A special thanks to JulianD for his thoughts (including via private message).

:)

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

Top Bottom