[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations

[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations [Paid] 2.2.0

No permission to buy ($30.00)
Still unable to get this to work. The test most outputs the test fields but nothing gets caught in real-time.

My logs show that the Spaminator Registration log shows over 8,100 records currently. I assume all log entries are registrations that were blocked. That's outstanding.

Unfortunately, shortly after midnight this morning, my site got hammered by some spammers that managed to register 68 accounts from 15 IP addresses and post over 335 spam threads in 3-4 hours. I don't know if this was all done by humans or if some spammers got smart and figured out how to bypass the Spaminator, but I thought I'd mention it here just in case.

Heya! I installed this addon 2 hours ago and it's since caught nothing, meanwhile we've had probably at least 10 spam accounts bypass registration. Is there anything I should be tweaking after installation? Or are these all potentially humans getting past? Thanks!

Still works fine on my side:

1701245274877.webp

There are no special configuration. It should work out of the box. One of the best add-ons to fight spam bots.

But we get human spammers. This add-on won't help you with them. We use first post approval because of them.

Hmm gotcha. Bummer. We get a lot of Vietnamese spammers right now and while the built-in XF filter does grab them, it seems like that's the bulk of who registers in our case, since after 4 hours there are still no logs in Spaminator while 20-30+ spammers have gotten through. Ah well, I'm sure it'll prove to be useful for those bot cases :)

Hmm gotcha. Bummer. We get a lot of Vietnamese spammers right now and while the built-in XF filter does grab them, it seems like that's the bulk of who registers in our case, since after 4 hours there are still no logs in Spaminator while 20-30+ spammers have gotten through. Ah well, I'm sure it'll prove to be useful for those bot cases :)
Put it in test mode and try to register. This verifies the product has no problems in your instance. Fill out at least one of the traps or any of the check boxes. Your attempt should be logged. If it's not, then there's something interfering. We've seen instances where other add-ons interfere.

Put it in test mode and try to register. This verifies the product has no problems in your instance. Fill out at least one of the traps or any of the check boxes. Your attempt should be logged. If it's not, then there's something interfering. We've seen instances where other add-ons interfere.
It seems to have picked one user up in the last 24 hours so seems like at least something works, but yeah we do have a bit of addons other than this one. Will give this a try, thank you!

When I view my spaminator registration logs, each entry represents a registration attempt that the mod caught and blocked - correct?

When I view the log and look at the last column, I see Captcha. I have a Q&A captcha set up with a few Q&A that I designed. In the log, I see about 13 'x' and 37 check marks. Does this mean the bots that spaminator is catching are successfully answering ~75% of the Q&A captcha attempts? I may need to get more clever with them or just turn it off if it's not really effective.

When I view my spaminator registration logs, each entry represents a registration attempt that the mod caught and blocked - correct?
Correct.

When I view the log and look at the last column, I see Captcha. I have a Q&A captcha set up with a few Q&A that I designed. In the log, I see about 13 'x' and 37 check marks. Does this mean the bots that spaminator is catching are successfully answering ~75% of the Q&A captcha attempts? I may need to get more clever with them or just turn it off if it's not really effective.
Means they are bypassing the Q&A. But it doesn't hurt to leave it. Sometimes also there is a hybrid situation going on, humans answering the questions but also relying on automation to autofill the form.

The "Captcha" you see in your log is our fake one we put as part of the trap. You can see it by putting this tool in test mode, then take a look at your registration form.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!

danger GIF
Warning Sign GIF

Ozzy47 updated [OzzModz] Registration Spaminator Stop Spam Bot Registrations with a new update entry:

[OzzModz] Registration Spaminator for XenForo for XenForo 2.2+ Update 2.2.0 Beta 2

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!

danger GIF
Warning Sign GIF

Now That Ive got your attention:
This is a beta release, take a full backup before installing on a production site. Optimally try it out on a test site that is a replication of your live site before installing on the live site...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Reactions: cwe
Said it before but I'll say it again, this addon should be a no brainer for forum admins.

Even though my site is now "invite only" the spaminator logs are still filled with registration attempts, more so since the start of 2024 where there seems to have been a marked increase in spam accounts, it is now catching between 20 and 40 attempts per day and now has 14500+ blocked attempts overall.

One of the best addons you can buy and it will make your admin life easier.

@Ozzy47 - is there a timeline or dev schedule on certifying the spaminator mods (both this one and the contact form one) as stable releases (and not warning betas)?

Said it before but I'll say it again, this addon should be a no brainer for forum admins.

Even though my site is now "invite only" the spaminator logs are still filled with registration attempts, more so since the start of 2024 where there seems to have been a marked increase in spam accounts, it is now catching between 20 and 40 attempts per day and now has 14500+ blocked attempts overall.

One of the best addons you can buy and it will make your admin life easier.
Screenshot_20240209-103047-970.webp

We're using your addon and it's catching spam accounts, but spam is still getting through. Is there something we can do to increase the spectrum of detection?

We're using your addon and it's catching spam accounts, but spam is still getting through. Is there something we can do to increase the spectrum of detection?

If spam is still coming through, it's from a human, this addon won't stop that.

I figured out what was blocking out my traffic and it wasn't this add-on. Apparently jaxels discord add-on I had enabled from a prior site where the web app was authorized even though I stopped using the add-on caused cross scripting to be going on where users couldn't sign up unless I directly contact them like on forum promotion.

This add-on is probably the best spam prevention add-on up to date. Keep up the good work. The fact that I fixed the issue has me so excited. I haven't renewed my xenforo license because of the lack of updates that has been provided but I will get back on track eventually. Thanks.

Top Bottom