[OzzModz] Global User Ignore (Tachy Goes to Coventry)

[OzzModz] Global User Ignore (Tachy Goes to Coventry) 2.0.0 Patch Level 3

No permission to download
1. I thought that if I put a user on "global ignore list", his older posts would remain visible to everyone... I don't want people to suspect that I've completely deleted the user.

2. When I approve a post from such a user in the moderation queue, the post still remains invisible to everyone. That's a pity. It would be helpful if there was an option in the settings (checkbox) to make the approved post visible to everyone.

3. Related to point #2, it would be also helpful if there was an option for the admin to see globally ignored posts as the default. So that when viewing a thread, he would immediately notice that a post is pending approval and could resolve it.

4. And it would also be useful to be able to mark the filter checkbox (in the moderator queue) for globally ignored posts as the default.

5. The problem can also be that a globally ignored user can send private messages to other users, and this will result in a blank message with a "show ignored content" button, i.e. other users will immediately know that this person is globally ignored.

This add-on could be a good replacement for a manually moderated user, with the advantage that the user doesn't need to know about it at all. Especially if it is a troublemaker.

Last edited:
The original "Coventry" from vB was intended only as a means to put a single member on everyone's ignore list, globally, so there were no options for it. (I wish I could find the post that @Kier wrote about the story behind this feature--I found it amusing.) We did put the occasional troublemaker on the list, but there were other instances where we needed immediate removal of a member's entire post history, and this did the trick.

This is one example of how we used it, outside of its intended purpose. One of our members was a financial advisor--he wasn't giving out financial advice, but his employers suspected he might be, and started investigating anyway. It's against SEC regulations to give out financial advice, therefore his career was on the line. We sent his account to Coventry, and he told the employers they were all removed from the forum, which they were. We also made him a new account with a generic name so he could continue posting (his original username was his popular nickname in the forum and at work).

When I converted from vB to Xenforo, though, I had to make a list of all the users in Coventry, then do a batch soft delete on all of their posts.

Coventry isn't something we used very often, as it's a very "nuclear" option. Over the course of nine years, we may have had only seven or eight users in Coventry. Today we prefer dealing with member access through permissions, moderation, and other methods that we have more granular control over. I built up a list of warnings which were tied to usergroup changes so that staff could easily accomplish member management without needing Admin access.

The original "Coventry" from vB was intended only as a means to put a single member on everyone's ignore list, globally, so there were no options for it. (I wish I could find the post that @Kier wrote about the story behind this feature--I found it amusing.) We did put the occasional troublemaker on the list, but there were other instances where we needed immediate removal of a member's entire post history, and this did the trick.

This is one example of how we used it, outside of its intended purpose. One of our members was a financial advisor--he wasn't giving out financial advice, but his employers suspected he might be, and started investigating anyway. It's against SEC regulations to give out financial advice, therefore his career was on the line. We sent his account to Coventry, and he told the employers they were all removed from the forum, which they were. We also made him a new account with a generic name so he could continue posting (his original username was his popular nickname in the forum and at work).

When I converted from vB to Xenforo, though, I had to make a list of all the users in Coventry, then do a batch soft delete on all of their posts.

Coventry isn't something we used very often, as it's a very "nuclear" option. Over the course of nine years, we may have had only seven or eight users in Coventry. Today we prefer dealing with member access through permissions, moderation, and other methods that we have more granular control over. I built up a list of warnings which were tied to usergroup changes so that staff could easily accomplish member management without needing Admin access.

Old bump. Can someone explain how the 2 way works? Is it basically if user X puts user Y on ignore, they both ignore each other automatically?

Hi,

i installed these plugin for the following feature.
Last Poster update: The last post in forum and thread views will update to the next non-ignored user
But after the installation, the complete Plugin doens't change anything.
It is installed and active. But I can't see one of the features.

Any Ideas, why the Plugin doesn't work?

Can I ask about this feature:

2-Way Ignore / Block:
Allow users to block other users entirely. Neither user will see the other users content.

Is this "stronger" than the built-in ignore? We have a use case where, despite using Forced Ignore (via the [Andrew] Moderator Panel add-on), users are still niggling at each other, primarily by clicking to see the ignore post and then using a laughing emoji in a mocking manner.

I'd like to be able to set it so that user A simply can not see user B's post at all, possibly other than a quote. But stopping them being able to react to the post of an ignored user would he very useful!

Top Bottom