1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Overlay error on post edit

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by dethfire, Sep 24, 2014.

1. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

On this post

when I try to edit, I get an overlay with the error:
    "The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console."

Firebug seems to id a problem in:

at line 230 which appears to be
    0);XenForo._manualDeferOverlay.find("span").text(a.status);var c=XenForo._manualDeferOverlay.find(".CancelDeferred");a.canCancel?c.show():c.hide()}else b()}).fail(b)};d()}},handleServerError:function(a,b){switch(b){case "abort":return!1;case "timeout":return XenForo.alert(XenForo.phrases.server_did_not_respond_in_time_try_again,XenForo.phrases.following_error_occurred+":"),!1;case "parsererror":return console.error("PHP "+a.responseText),XenForo.alert("The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console."),
    This was confirmed with default skin and no addons
  2. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

This is where the alert was issued... please post the raw console log which might contain any clues. :)
    dethfire likes this.
  3. dethfire

It appears to break on any javascript overlay function on that page. I don't see what is different than other pages.

firebug just reports the entire page code in the console
  4. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

hmmm.... overlays are working for me... (on your site)

EDIT: not working on thread view...
  5. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

okay, I can confirm it... the page isn't being passed to the Json ViewRenderer... are you sure you don't have any server error logged? like both in XF's error log and PHP error log?
    dethfire likes this.
  6. dethfire

Nothing being reported. Not sure how to check php error log. It's only with that thread too. very strange
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Remove any custom javascript you have added, such as mathjax, and try again.