Organizational Needs / Structure / Bookmarking / Collections

erich37

Suggestion for Organizational Needs / Structure / Bookmarking / Collections:

based on this thread/post:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/kam-please-revisit-the-past.48273/page-2#post-518459

user_collections.webp

:coffee:

Each user can have "Private Collections" and "Public Collections".

The "Follow-button" means, you can "follow" the "Collections" of a specific user (in case the user has made his "Collection" being "public" and therefore visible to others).

"Private Collections" are visible only to the specific user himself.

:)

Upvote 9
it just came to my mind that you could actually do a very similar thing for "Personal Conversations" (PC):

Having "Collections" for "Personal Conversations", in order to be able to sort your "Private Conversations" into topic-centric folders.....

So there is no need to "search" for "Personal Conversations" anymore. Just organize them by putting them into your folders (topic-centric "Collections").

Reference thread:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/bookmarks-paid.27871/page-8#post-544827

it just came to my mind that you could actually do a very similar thing for "Personal Conversations" (PC):

Having "Collections" for "Personal Conversations", in order to be able to sort your "Private Conversations" into topic-centric folders.....

So there is no need to "search" for "Personal Conversations" anymore. Just organize them by putting them into your folders (topic-centric "Collections").

Reference thread:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/bookmarks-paid.27871/page-8#post-544827

collections/personal labels like in gmail (love the idea, it was AFAIK suggested already somewhere just can't find it anymore:( )
but not for your usecase on the profile, i want/need it to be able to find the important & interesting content faster.
tags are great way to do this, but since everybody can set them, they're often useless because of synonymous and other factors like the used language or spelling
with personal label groups and labels, i could tag them FOR me (and as additional feature, we could probably set public label groups, then there would be something like you've suggested in the first post)

So there is no need to "search" for "Personal Conversations" anymore
but this doesn't mean that we don't need a search for PC:p the search is really needed

So when you say private collection, would threads in a collection be comparable to song in a youtube playlist which you select from a youtube profile page?

collections/personal labels (love the idea, it was AFAIK suggested already somewhere just can't find it anymore:( )

ohhh, this has already been suggested somewhere else ? Where exactly ?
Why didn't you bookmark it ? Why didn't you put it into your "Collection", so you could share it with me now ? ;)

but this doesn't mean that we don't need a search for PC:p the search is really needed

yeah, I know we still need "Search" for "Private Conversations".
But somehow I need to tease the developers here, otherwise they will never dive into the development of "Bookmarking" and "Collections" :D:cautious:

but not for your usecase on the profile, i want/need it to be able to find the important & interesting content faster.

that is exactly what I am talking about:

since you are able to "follow" the "Collections / Boards" of other users, you will be able to find the important & interesting content faster.

http://on.aol.com/video/ramy-adeeb-of-snip-it-517404198

So you literally "follow" the content which you find interesting, so you will find even more interesting content based on your very personal interests.

sorry, I am not sure how that works at YouTube :cool:

This suggestion is to let each user create simple Folders at which he can bookmark/organize his favourite threads/posts into.

Just like your Browser-Bookmarking works in e.g. Firefox-browser:
Create a folder and put your favourite stuff into it....

Further explained here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/bookmarks-paid.27871/page-8#post-544774

A playlist is a user set collection of any videos at youtube and a bookmark collection would be something similar in structure (a list of links to pages containing desired data)

On youtube I can surf and create a playlist of videos that are completely random and from any uploader and name that playlist and make it public if I want. I assume bookmarking posts and storing them as a 'playlist' of sorts of related content and media and naming the collection would be similar to the effect at you.

If you go to an uploader's youtube page you can see a list of playlists as well as a list of recently uploaded videos.

example: https://www.youtube.com/user/WholeGr4ins ...

Obviously it would be displayed different being based on text more than videos, but are you essentially talking about a similar system for post data?

Obviously it would be displayed different being based on text more than videos, but are you essentially talking about a similar system for post data?

yeah, now I understand what you mean :)

this is very similar, you are right:
I called it "Collections" or "Bookmarking Folders" or "Boards", but you could also give it the name "Playlists".
In the end it is all the same concept: "collect content you are interested in" :cool:

You literally could look at all my "Public Folders", check which threads I have collected and "follow" my Folder (Collection) if you are interested in the stuff I am collecting (bookmarking).
But you could also create your own "Public Folders" or "Private Folders" and put the same threads or other threads into your own public or private folders and create your own "Collections" (Playlists).
If people are interested in the threads/posts/images/videos/URLs/files, etc. you are "collecting", they can "follow" your (public) folders/collections/playlists.........

I could see it working well for me with common support things... Like for Kiers replace in posts addon...I could use a collection to put together a list of posts that contain the regex for common post replacements.

the mockup in the first post was just a quick thingy to present the idea in simple terms.

Of course the "Edit"-button would only be visible to the Profile-owner himself, in order to edit the Folder-title.
And "Private Folders" would only be visible to the Profile-owner himself.

Please like the first post of this thread if you like the idea :D

Top Bottom