Lack of interest [Option] Disable `Likes' in locked threads

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

gordy

(I searched before asking ;) )

Will there be a way to disable `Likes' in a locked thread ?

I just `Liked' a post in a locked thread, and was wondering if there is a toggle for that.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There are reasons to like posts in lock threads. Look at the random questions answered threads kier posted. It's lock but i want to like the answers he gives.

What reasons would they be? I'm actually interested, what situation should a post no longer be likeable?

Controversial threads, maybe? Members take umbrage to other members getting in a last word, be it an acutal post or otherwise (in this case a likes)

Controversial threads, maybe? Members take umbrage to other members getting in a last word, be it an acutal post or otherwise (in this case a likes)
then the appropriate action would be to not like it...

but by disabling the function you are taking away the possibility of others who do agree from liking...

If I'm not allowed to like something because the administrator of the forum feels the need to micro-manage what he/she deems shouldn't be liked by anybody, I don't think I'd stick around for much longer. It's like telling me what I am and am not allowed to agree with, or what I can and cannot say. Sorry, I'm just not into that whole "let's censor anything I disagree with" scheme.

It should be an either all-on or all-off system, IMO.

If I'm not allowed to like something because the administrator of the forum feels the need to micro-manage what he/she deems shouldn't be liked by anybody, I don't think I'd stick around for much longer. It's like telling me what I am and am not allowed to agree with, or what I can and cannot say. Sorry, I'm just not into that whole "let's censor anything I disagree with" scheme.
It should be an either all-on or all-off system, IMO.

I understand and agree with that, however there are instances (you can't just presume all forum genre's deal with delicate subject matter) where abuse is possible.

There needs to be a means of curtailing that potential abuse, after all, it is still a form of communicating in a locked thread.

There needs to be a means of curtailing that potential abuse, after all, it is still a form of communicating in a locked thread.
What abuse? If liking a post that you happen to disagree with is abuse, then I'm afraid to find out what real abuse is.

How is it communicating? It's a one-way action: I like your post. That's it; end of story. Nothing left to do if the thread is closed.

then the appropriate action would be to not like it...

but by disabling the function you are taking away the possibility of others who do agree from liking...
No, the appropriate action would be to delete those posts that are umbrageous.

Personally, if it can't be used in certain situations, then there's no point in having it all.

Sorry, I'm just not into that whole "let's censor anything I disagree with" scheme.
That is not all the point, nice spin though :)

What abuse? If liking a post that you happen to disagree with is abuse, then I'm afraid to find out what real abuse is.

How is it communicating? It's a one-way action: I like your post. That's it; end of story. Nothing left to do if the thread is closed.

Seriously,
There are scenarios where this is applicable, one example:
Poster B has an issue with Poster A.
Admin locks thread.
Poster B rallies Posters X,Y,Z to ``Like'' Poster B's post.
Poster A is intimidated, reports complaint.
Admin has no control over ``Likes'' and cannot keep the peace.

Yes, in this example, it demonstrates a members over-sensitivity, but like I said before , not everyone's memberships are a tough crowd or hold their own. I've seen members get upset about the most inane and trivial things.

That is not all the point, nice spin though :)

Seriously,
There are scenarios where this is applicable, one example:
Poster B has an issue with Poster A.
Admin locks thread.
Poster A is intimidated, reports complaint.
Admin has no control over ``Likes'' and cannot keep the peace.

Yes, in this example, it demonstrates a members over-sensitivity, but like I said before , not everyone's memberships are a tough crowd or hold their own. I've seen members get upset about the most inane and trivial things.
In this scenario, you have a much bigger problem than abuse of the like system. You have members who are inciting trouble, which alone demands admin/moderator interference. Disabling liking is only going to cover the symptoms of this underlying problem; not cure it.

This alone = warning. Rallying likes? Seriously? Sorry, I don't run kids' forums.

I guess someone would enjoy sitting there liking and unliking a post just to spam someone with alerts 8-)

I'm sure if it's not core functionality (and assuming it uses the $show variable like vB) you could just set $show['like'] = false;

Of course I have absolutely no idea how it's done, but removing the like button from closed threads shouldn't be too hard.

I can see the reason for disabling it in locked threads, but that is mitigated by the fact that 'who' liked the posts are publicly viewable.

If it cannot be removed from locked threads there should be instructions on how to do that, which in theory should survive upgrades.

For out forum, personally, I would leave Likes enabled for locked threads.

I guess someone would enjoy sitting there liking and unliking a post just to spam someone with alerts :cool:

I'm sure if it's not core functionality (and assuming it uses the $show variable like vB) you could just set $show['like'] = false;

Of course I have absolutely no idea how it's done, but removing the like button from closed threads shouldn't be too hard.
Excellent idea, toggling would be the most convenient. Thank you for the reply with out the spin :)

Top Bottom