Opinions on a "hidden" Dev area?

Wired

What's your opinion on having a dev area here that's hidden to the general public and only accessible via membership in an opt-in group (that is, if you ask, you're in, no other requirements). That way programmers can thrash some low level code around that the general XF customer wouldn't make heads or tails of. On one side, the general XF customer wouldn't be bothered by extra posts, and on the other side, the devs wouldn't be bothered by every Tom, ****, and Harry asking questions about their test code.

What's your opinion on having a dev area here that's hidden to the general public and only accessible via membership in an opt-in group (that is, if you ask, you're in, no other requirements). That way programmers can thrash some low level code around that the general XF customer wouldn't make heads or tails of. On one side, the general XF customer wouldn't be bothered by extra posts, and on the other side, the devs wouldn't be bothered by every Tom, ****, and Harry asking questions about their test code.

Good points, :) It may also give those new to developing for XenForo the freedom of asking what they feel are basic questions and therefore not otherwise ask publicly.

The downside will be for those that do not want to log in to look for coding-related answers, but just want to search, find it, and move-on. Search engines too, will not index php related questions and solutions, that others may search for, and not bring potential new developers or clients to XenForo.

Good points, :) It may also give those new to developing for XenForo the freedom of asking what they feel are basic questions and therefore not otherwise ask publicly.

The downside will be for those that do not want to log in to look for coding-related answers, but just want to search, find it, and move-on. Search engines too, will not index php related questions and solutions, that others may search for, and not bring potential new developers or clients to XenForo.
Could solve that by allowing guests to view the area. If someone wants to ask a question, all they'd have to do is to sign in, gain access, and then ask, or if they haven't joined up yet, well hey, there's a new member for the forum :)

Personally I think xf is extremely young, and there should be no awkward questions at the moment, so I don't think it is needed at this time. In addition some people could be undecided as to whether they themselves could attempt to write code, they might be convinced 'I can try this' if they are allowed to see the q&a.

But that is just my 2 cents.

My forum has nothing to do with software, but we have the same types of problems where people do not want to discuss things in the open sometimes, and there is a paid subscription set up to let them use a private forum.

Top Bottom