OpenLiteSpeed vs Nginx vs Cherokee.

Ain't OpenLiteSpeed supposedly the same as LiteSpeed minus some stuff to keep it free?

Last I knew Open LiteSpeed also has a maximum visitor limit. Meaning you were only allowed X people visiting your site. And if you wanted more than X people, they wanted you to upgrade to the paid LiteSpeed.

I'm sure you can edit some file somewhere to overcome that, but I recall that was against their license agreement.

Anyone know if that has changed since the original release?

Last edited:
removed LiteSpeed Enterprise's LiteSpeed Cache for dynamic caching (i.e. PHP).

Its worth mentioning, that even without caching, when using the LSAPI as the PHP handler that LiteSpeed is capable of serving up tens of thousands of requests per second very comfortably as it eliminates a huge amount of query overhead that fcgi+nginx has.

Its worth mentioning, that even without caching, when using the LSAPI as the PHP handler that LiteSpeed is capable of serving up tens of thousands of requests per second very comfortably as it eliminates a huge amount of query overhead that fcgi+nginx has.
Indeed. Guess in time when more folks try OpenLiteSpeed we will see how it goes :D

no reward without effort ;) :D
finally got it up and running on the VPS I set up. Looks like it could be a winner but they are going to REALLY need to do something about having to download development packages on each server just to compile it. It's going to have to get packaged in a YUM and APT format before it gets popular.:p

I'm NOT going to install it on any of my other production servers because of the heavy overhead (space wise) requirements it has just to run it.

Well...
Right now I'm uploading the 64bit netinstall of Debian 7.0 to my Proxmox server. Once it is donw I am going to set up a 64bit VPS using Debian and am going to jump through all the hoops AGAIN... but this time once I get it compiled I plan on making a .DEB package (already have a i386 one made). Then I'll trash that VPS and create it again and try the install of the 64bit .DEB package and see if that works. :LOL:

Dang, running your own server to set up VPS's does come in handy.

Well...
Right now I'm uploading the 64bit netinstall of Debian 7.0 to my Proxmox server. Once it is donw I am going to set up a 64bit VPS using Debian and am going to jump through all the hoops AGAIN... but this time once I get it compiled I plan on making a .DEB package (already have a i386 one made). Then I'll trash that VPS and create it again and try the install of the 64bit .DEB package and see if that works. :LOL:

Dang, running your own server to set up VPS's does come in handy.
Guess you missed the fact OLS already has YUM and APT packages http://open.litespeedtech.com/mediawiki/index.php/Repositories

Another problem I'm having is getting sub-domains to work. I have my main domain of twowheeldemon.com and a sub-domain that points to Munin. Main one works but the sub-domain keeps giving a 404 error. I have a vhost defined and it's placed in the listener but still not working. :confused:

Finally after scratching my head long enough figured it out.. WAY to many places you have to set to get a vhost to work.

Another problem I'm having is getting sub-domains to work. I have my main domain of twowheeldemon.com and a sub-domain that points to Munin. Main one works but the sub-domain keeps giving a 404 error. I have a vhost defined and it's placed in the listener but still not working. :confused:

Finally after scratching my head long enough figured it out.. WAY to many places you have to set to get a vhost to work.

As in?

you make the folder, assign the vhost and path, assign the listener to the vhost and done?

As in?

you make the folder, assign the vhost and path, assign the listener to the vhost and done?
Didn't ever seem to want to take... and I did a restart from the server from the command line.
There are also a "few" more steps that. ;)

At least it's up and running now... and it's running on 5.4.21 of PHP with GeoIP and ImageMagick compiled also. Guess for folks that are used to doing a bunch of compiling on centOS it's not "a big deal" but when you haven't done any source compilation in a while you don't have all the necessary dev libraries installed. :whistle:

IWhen using the LSAPI as the PHP handler that LiteSpeed is capable of serving up tens of thousands of requests per second very comfortably as it eliminates a huge amount of query overhead that fcgi+nginx has.
Unfortunately, OpenLiteSpeed has no cache and that is a BIG caveat. IMO, leveraging fastcgi_cache in Nginx produces dramatic results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom