XF 2.2 Open forum to admin and moderator's only

Trying to build a forum from scratch but cannot find a way of keeping the board closed but allowing moderators to view and upload without making them admin

Sorry if this has already been asked and answers but would greatly appreciate any advise

You can also revoke the "View" permission (normally 1st one in the permissions list) from "Registered users" (and all other user groups you might use, apart form moderators and administrators):

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-03 um 05.19.35.png

(you should use "no" and not "never", because I assume your staff members are assigned to the "Registered users" group as well)

Edit: You might also disable registration on admin.php?options/groups/usersAndRegistration/ and you also should revoke "View" permission from the "Unregistered/Unconfirmed" user group.

You can also revoke the "View" permission (normally 1st one in the permissions list) from "Registered users" (and all other user groups you might use, apart form moderators and administrators):
Just make sure Admins and Mods then have View explicitly granted, else they will lose it. Usually, those are secondary groups and they inherit their View right from being Registered Users. But, yes, this would go a long way.
Edit: You might also disable registration on admin.php?options/groups/usersAndRegistration/ and you also should revoke "View" permission from the "Unregistered/Unconfirmed" user group.
Definitely.
Run it as normal, protect the index.php (or root) with htpasswd.
OTOH, doing this kind of puts another layer in front of things so you don't have to do all that. It's how my dev/test site is configured and then I only give the password to the people who should have access (admins, mods, and occasionally volunteer testers). In fact, it (or a similar measure) is required under the license for dev/test sites.

Top Bottom