One amazing piece of technology.

EQnoble

I was watching an ep of a pretty damn good bbc doc series and they had a segment where a blind man was scaling a mountain. His retinas had detached and a piece of hardware allows him to see via impulses sent to his tounge. The device called Brainport Vision has truly amazed me and I am so happy to see tech like this being developed for a solid cause. You can see the device in action on Season 1 episode 3 of BBC's "Inside the Human Body" or view the company site @ http://vision.wicab.com/technology/#Who could benefit from the BrainPort vision device?

V100system2.webp

I just wanted to post this awesome piece of tech before I forget about it. I wonder if they plan on building a device to help with memory?

There's that and several other pieces of technology that are just amazing, and I love watching documentaries about these kind of progresses and development, particularly how they manage to get them to integrate with the body's functions.

This one, however, is particularly cool... and I would have never thought about using a tongue to see. o_O

I was watching an ep of a pretty damn good bbc doc series and they had a segment where a blind man was scaling a mountain. His retinas had detached and a piece of hardware allows him to see via impulses sent to his tounge. The device called Brainport Vision has truly amazed me and I am so happy to see tech like this being developed for a solid cause. You can see the device in action on Season 1 episode 3 of BBC's "Inside the Human Body" or view the company site @ http://vision.wicab.com/technology/#Who could benefit from the BrainPort vision device?

View attachment 15159

I just wanted to post this awesome piece of tech before I forget about it. I wonder if they plan on building a device to help with memory?

Amazing piece of technology.
Seems like something Apple has to release.

The iSee or something. With Retina-correction instead of Retina Screen :P

Amazing piece of technology.
Seems like something Apple has to release.

The iSee or something. With Retina-correction instead of Retina Screen :p
I was being totally serious and didn't want to laugh...but I really could not hold that in. LOL

I wonder what other awesome pieces of tech we could find that augment body functions?

I was being totally serious and didn't want to laugh...but I really could not hold that in. LOL

I wonder what other awesome pieces of tech we could find that augment body functions?

Yeah, my motto is "One day not laughed is one day not lived", but it's not that I have no feelings, don't worry :)
I feel bad for the guy and feel like awarding the Nobel Price to the creators of that technothingee :)

I recall a while ago seeing how they were building an exoskeleton for soldiers to make them stronger/faster. They fit into them like robotic suits, and I believe that same documentary theorized it would probably lead to the ability for people with paralysis to walk again.

I imagine that would be very possible when combined with the tech that allows you to move a robotic arm with just your thoughts (well, brain waves) that was/is being developed as well.

I recall a while ago seeing how they were building an exoskeleton for for soldiers to make them stronger/faster. They fit into them like robotic suits, and I believe that same documentary theorized it would probably lead to the ability for people with paralysis to walk again.

I imagine that would be very possible when combined with the tech that allows you to move a robotic arm with just your thoughts (well, brain waves) that was/is being developed as well.
I have actually seen a prototype of that in full use, it was crazy I think there was a test subject lifting the most rediculous items that I know humans should not be able to move...
This is the original inventor's (Sarcos) model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhj3Z9o6t0g, most of it's intended uses are military however. Combining that with brainwave sensors and optics and gyros for fine tuning of motions usually adjusted by the human body would end up being one kick-ass robot.

I have actually seen a prototype of that in full use, it was crazy I think there was a test subject lifting the most rediculous items that I know humans should not be able to move...
This is the original inventor's (Sarcos) model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhj3Z9o6t0g, most of it's intended uses are military however. Combining that with brainwave sensors and optics and gyros for fine tuning of motions usually adjusted by the human body would end up being one kick-ass robot.
Real life Stark Industries? :eek:

Top Bottom