Once bought the software, what is the use in extending license for another years?

saurav

For example if i bought XENforo for $140 for the current version, can i run the forum for lifetime without extending the upgrades and update for another year.
And if i am not doing so am i missing out something. I had a horrible experience at Vbulletin when i bought vb 4.x.x and after every month they told that there is a vulnerability and i have to update it with a patch, for example if while applying the patch i realize that i no longer can access the update, then i will feel cheated and that happened at vb. Please guide.

You can use the license forever, however when it expires you cannot download versions released after the license expired, nor can you receive ticket support.

You could let the license expire, and renew it only when a new version is released, saving money...

Liam

for example if i have version say 3.6 and you have released version 4.1 and if my license expires i can not download the new version that is 4.1, But what if some bug or vulnerability occurs in my version 3.6 , will a patch be released or if released can i download the patch or fix?

I was going to say, I wouldn't have a clue, as there's only been 1 security update and it was before I started using xenForo :)

But, as Brogan just pointed out, it was publicly released as a patch, which would probably mean others will be as well.

Liam

The only security issue so far was publicly released as a patch: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-security-fix-for-1-0-0-1-1-2.32890/
I applologize if i am not clear ... if i have bought the software for $140 only and after 10 years a bug creeps in, will i be able to apply that security fix... I am concerned coz its true that you guys have become a hype in forum software market and more and more people are switching for xf including DP, but spammers will find a way to flood websites using xenforo and eventually they will find a way back may be ... what if dont have extended support?

I applologize if i am not clear ... if i have bought the software for $140 only and after 10 years a bug creeps in, will i be able to apply that security fix... I am concerned coz its true that you guys have become a hype in forum software market and more and more people are switching for xf including DP, but spammers will find a way to flood websites using xenforo and eventually they will find a way back may be ... what if dont have extended support?

Yes, as I said above, in the very unlikely event there is a security issue, a public patch will probably be released on the forum like the last one.

Liam

It is probably worth pointing out that if in 10 years, XenForo is on version 5.x.x that a patch may or may not be released for a 1.2.x version of the software. At some point, new XenForo releases will EOL older releases.

To add to what everyone has said, you don't need to renew your license every year (well technically it's good and helps xenForo, but if you are tight on budget).

You can purchase the extension if you see something you like/need coming out in the next version of when a new version is available, let's say you purchase xenForo now, and your license expires December 2014, if xenForo releases xenForo 3.0 in August 2015, you can purchase an extension in August itself, to avail the new version and its features.

You won't get ticket support when you don't renew, however the support forums are really great :) You also have access to all the resources once you purchase your license, regardless of whether you have renewed or not.

Top Bottom