OK to run test site without license?

I bought a license, very happy with XenForo. I am buying another license, purchasing it next week, for another domain. Can I do a password protected admin-only install this weekend to get things setup and before going public pay for the new license? Or will I have to re-install XenForo for the new install to be legit once it is paid for and goes live?

If you already own a license then;

How many installations can I make with a single license?
Each license permits you to install the software once. However, you may create a single additional test installation for testing purposes only. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to you and your website staff.

Quote is from Brogan in the thread Pre Sales FAQ

I would suggest just putting a test install up. Sort it all out. Do a backup and then just "restore" it to where it adds all the boards for you when you go live. On the new installation that is.

I read that, I don't want to do an install and three days later do another install. I wish to know if I can just remove the password protection once paid or do I have to install the whole thing again from a backup.

OK, thought the forum was inaccessible while closed. How do people view content while the forum is turned off via admin? Is there a misunderstanding about the word closed? To me that means turning it off in the admin. Are you referring to closing as in closing a thread?

there is an on/off checkbox in Options > Board Active

"When the board is inactive / closed, this message will be shown to site visitors."

Last edited:
The rules for running a test site are clearly defined, and Brogan has provided a link how to do it.

ht protection stops access full stop without a username and password. The XenForo software is still available via closing the forum.

If you wish to run a test forum, you need to comply with the rules, and currently that is via password protection.

Top Bottom