Oh snaps! Digitalpoint switched over to Xenforo :D

Impressive stuff, Shaun.
I've just gotten started... I just needed to get it to a point where there was no functionality loss for users to be able to roll it out. Probably the most impressive thing actually is my importer that made it so we could migrate 18M+ posts and everything that went along with it in an hour. :)
Want.

Searching conversations is critical. I also think (possibly as a larger discussion about XF search in general) that things like user profile comments and... basically anything that you as a user have permission to see... should be searchable.

How much work was involved in writing the extension?
I dunno, it's all a blur now. Lol
Out of curiosity, how come you're storing them in the database?
Multiple web servers.

Shaun I suggest a conference with KAM seriously. Some of your stuff is essential core.
Like I've long thought that new users should not be able to post links in content or sig to prevent spam. Similarly New Content Filter.

Absolutely.

One of the biggest issues we all deal with is forum spam. Keeping new registrants from being able to post links anywhere is a necessity.

Not sure what you mean? I use MySQL 5.5 and run backups nightly...
Sorry, should have been more specific.

Do you only back it up once every 24hrs? Is it stored locally or do you also have a copy off site? How long do you keep the backups?

the most impressive thing actually is my importer that made it so we could migrate 18M+ posts and everything that went along with it in an hour. .

2 things are the most concern for big boards owners, import and search index rebuild.

how long did your search index rebuild took?

Why not use a fileserver and NFS?

We host millions of files for our users...no way I'm going to put them in a DB :)
Exactly that. MySQL is fine for very large tables if you are doing primary key lookups (which is what happens here). It's not like the records in the database that stores the files are ever JOINed to, sorted or anything else.
2 things are the most concern for big boards owners, import and search index rebuild.

how long did your search index rebuild took?
About 20 minutes (I also built a CLI based system for rebuilding indexes that will utilize multiple servers in parallel for the process).

Yep... pretty sure it would be less work to build my own than try to fix it.

Well, because start with vB5, you are not going to improve a forum software but instead try to make it looks at least like a forum software from a completely messed up script.

They decided to bring all the crap of "social networks" to a "forum" software.

Xenforo is less features ATM, but at least you have a great piece of forum software to start.

Not really... vB5 doesn't even have infractions/warnings or paid user upgrades/subscriptions.

Sorry, I was compare it vB4, vB5 is far from a final product to me. Btw, I will submit some of my styles here at xenforo.com and your site as well. Always a fan of your sphinx search.

Hopefully vB5 will be the last version... but that's probably just wishful thinking. I just can't bear to watch those incompetent IB clowns mutilate what used to be the best forum software any further. With any luck I'll be able to move off vB completely soon so I'll be spared looking at how IB keeps raping the vB corpse in the future.

Enhanced Search - XenForo's Elastic Search. :) My "Search" addon adds "Areas" tab to member profiles and makes a bunch of content types searchable (users, conversations & reports). Makes soft-deleted stuff searchable. Adds Elastic Search stats to admin area.

These are some features my staff is begging for. We have a lot of traffic (pushing 1,000 users online during peak hours now!), and searching soft-deleted posts is an essential we miss from vB. Having searchable private conversations would be a long-awaited feature for me personally. I just don't have the brains (or the time anymore) to devote to tweaking forums.

Top Bottom