"Official" Forum Admins Instead of Humans....

Okenyon

Sorry for the odd title, but I can't really explain it any other way, has anyone instead of using their own name or username setup a "bot like" forum admin who posts all the sticky threads, rules, send announcements etc instead of your own personal admin account.

I think it may take away some "personal" approach but also could look good and stamp more authority.

Thoughts.....

Sorry for the odd title, but I can't really explain it any other way, has anyone instead of using their own name or username setup a "bot like" forum admin who posts all the sticky threads, rules, send announcements etc instead of your own personal admin account.

I think it may take away some "personal" approach but also could look good and stamp more authority.

Thoughts.....
Yes we do that on our site.

What are you looking for?

Some people like to create an official account (like here on XenForo) because it takes away from the personal approach of always one person posting a thread etc. if nobody knows who it is... we have no idea who posts the XenForo announcements and that's not exactly a bad thing.

Some people like to hide that they're the admin and communicate with the users as another user which can, in turn, build a better relationship as they don't look to the user as an authority figure.

I don't think there are negatives per se, just depends what your reasons are for doing it. Are you trying to hide who you are, are you trying to create consistency, etc?

Some people like to create an official account (like here on XenForo) because it takes away from the personal approach of always one person posting a thread etc. if nobody knows who it is... we have no idea who posts the XenForo announcements and that's not exactly a bad thing.

Some people like to hide that they're the admin and communicate with the users as another user which can, in turn, build a better relationship as they don't look to the user as an authority figure.

I don't think there are negatives per se, just depends what your reasons are for doing it. Are you trying to hide who you are, are you trying to create consistency, etc?
Yes possibly consistency and brand. Also things like forum rule threads etc may look better being "official". Another things we want to do is PM our special offers etc which may look spammy coming from a personal account.

If you want your forum rules to look official you could always create a new tab in the 'Help' section:
https://xenforo.com/community/help/

This way they're defined in the site (similar to terms & conditions) and aren't posted by any user and cannot be editable by a rogue moderator!

Special offers and the such you could send out as mass alerts and post a thread (as your branded account or otherwise).

Sounds like you've already made your mind up and, to be honest, I'd agree with your process.

Top Bottom