nVidia Developer Forums Hacked...

and what about the spam?
After taking the anti-spam precautions described in this forum, I have been 100% spam free for the past 4 months. Even on vB, the best I could get was down to 2 to 3 spammers a day. XF might have spam vulernabilities out of the box but if you compare apples to apples, I'd say it's no different than any other platform out there. Even an un-askimeted wordpress blog will fill up with comment spam in a few days.

Which still makes it's way down to IPB. Never underestimate the value or de-value of word of mouth.
If someone stabs you just as you leave your house, it will make your neighborhood seem like a less safe place which will hurt the ones in control of the neighborhood. But ultimately, it sucks more for you. If you know what I mean.

It might hurt IPB a bit, but it hurts the innocent people more. And personally, I don't think that's good.

If someone stabs you just as you leave your house, it will make your neighborhood seem like a less safe place which will hurt the ones in control of the neighborhood. But ultimately, it sucks more for you. If you know what I mean.

It might hurt IPB a bit, but it hurts the innocent people more. And personally, I don't think that's good.
And if you move to a better neighborhood, your friends will continue to visit you and be forever grateful knowing they can do so safely.

The neighborhood of IPB is not safe.

On the web it is the other side of the tracks, it is the ghetto neighborhood. And communities who live in the ghetto should strive to get out of it.

And yet ironically, this ghetto (IPB) cost more and uses more resources to live in. It's an upside down world is it not?.... When it is cheaper and more economical to move outside the ghetto to safer and more secure neighborhood. ;)

And yet ironically, this ghetto (IPB) cost more and uses more resources to live in. It's an upside down world is it not?.... When it is cheaper and more economical to move outside the ghetto to safer and more secure neighborhood. ;)

I can't pretend i know anything about IPB but I had to chime in here and say that the bolded text was quite an epic statement. lol thanks I am sick ass hell and for some odd reason this made my day.

And if you move to a better neighborhood, your friends will continue to visit you and be forever grateful knowing they can do so safely.

The neighborhood of IPB is not safe.

On the web it is the other side of the tracks, it is the ghetto neighborhood. And communities who live in the ghetto should strive to get out of it.

But you're not punishing the people who live in the ghetto, you're punishing the people who are visiting those who live in the ghetto. ;)

If you feel IPB has done you wrong and in turn, you refuse to help them - fair enough.

If you feel that the people who buy IPB and use that as their software have it coming and should instead use something else, so you refuse to help them - kinda fair enough.

But you're especially punishing the innocent visitors who visit the sites of those people, who had little to no say in which software is used on the websites they visit Sure, you might hit the other 2 in the process as well (after all, having your website hacked is not great publicity and being the developer of the software that got hacked isn't either), but those visitors have issues with their accounts, might have other accounts hacked as well because they use the same password / email address on other websites, or might be targeted by spam because those email addresses get sold. You're hurting the innocent people the most in my opinion, and I don't think that's fair. That's all. :)

But you're not punishing the people who live in the ghetto, you're punishing the people who are visiting those who live in the ghetto. ;)

If you feel IPB has done you wrong and in turn, you refuse to help them - fair enough.

If you feel that the people who buy IPB and use that as their software have it coming and should instead use something else, so you refuse to help them - kinda fair enough.

But you're especially punishing the innocent visitors who visit the sites of those people, who had little to no say in which software is used on the websites they visit Sure, you might hit the other 2 in the process as well (after all, having your website hacked is not great publicity and being the developer of the software that got hacked isn't either), but those visitors have issues with their accounts, might have other accounts hacked as well because they use the same password / email address on other websites, or might be targeted by spam because those email addresses get sold. You're hurting the innocent people the most in my opinion, and I don't think that's fair. That's all. :)
See here is the thing Sador, I agree with you to an extent, the most honorable thing one could do would be to help fix the problem...however...he did warn them according to his statement a long time ago, they supposedly gave him the cold shoulder...for him to help he would have to go out of his way against deaf ears or ridicule...so why would he...it could be bad publicity for him if you want to throw that out there...however since we are talking about the ghetto and the hood and all that, I have many friends in the ghetto, for real, when you go to the ghetto, you get what you get and the streets talk, end of story, if you want to go there and think you can let your guard down....that is your problem..

He is not punishing the visitors...the visitors are punishing themselves by choosing to visit any website if you want to get technical, the owners of that site are responsible for choosing the software they choose...the software company they purchased from didn't want to hear crap from anyone about a flaw so it is their fault for short changing their customers...Adam has his own life as do we all, if you slap me in the face for trying to help you, you can hardly be mad if I refuse to help you again...from what I understand Adam had already tried to say something and no one listened to him.

Moving on to the users and their creds and stuff...it is 2012(almost 2013), if you think using the same username and password on every site you visit is no big deal...you really can't blame Adam for not helping them...that would be like me being mad at the mfg of my safes if my house get's broken into and the burglars find a piece of paper with the combos to my safes written down and they take everything that should be guarded. How can I be mad...I pretty much gave them the key. Yeah they shouldn't be in my house...but that is why they are criminals, for me to think that making entry to the goods easier is somehow someone elses fault is completely crazy. I mean I had the presence of mind to get safes, no different than when you sign up somewhere you create a password, how is me leaving the info needed lying around any different than using the same password for everything, if they get into my house they have my safes, if they crack one of your passwords, they cracked it for every site you visit.

After taking the anti-spam precautions described in this forum, I have been 100% spam free for the past 4 months. Even on vB, the best I could get was down to 2 to 3 spammers a day. XF might have spam vulernabilities out of the box but if you compare apples to apples, I'd say it's no different than any other platform out there. Even an un-askimeted wordpress blog will fill up with comment spam in a few days.
I know, but is sad to see that XF is usually having spam attacks..even when there are tools like akismet

I know, but is sad to see that XF is usually having spam attacks..even when there are tools like akismet

topic: nvidia-developer-forums-hacked... we don't need anymore 'this thread is now about spam' threads.

To end that tangent of a discussion I will provide you with a little tidbit that was iterated to me by quite the intelligent person.

If you have a site that people can sign up and post, bots can too.

Anything preventing spam that xenforo would include will eventually be cracked, the more people using the same method...the better the payoff for someone to crack it which means more incentive to crack it. It is way more logical for a site owner to use his or her own collaboration of spam protections and make them unique from others...one site unless it is high profile is not worth cracking.

Bringing up the issue of spam in every thread is kind of spamming in it's own right.

Anything preventing spam that xenforo would include will eventually be cracked, the more people using the same method...the better the payoff for someone to crack it which means more incentive to crack it.
It's not worth even to think about spam prevention.:rolleyes:
The spammers will break it...

IPB has their own paid spam server which is included in their re-new subscription.

All the free alternatives out there are better. One need only plug into StopForumSpam.com and you will have already received a more secure ant-spam method.

IPB is not secure... least of all on spam.

I can't see spam on their forum.
They have a larger staff to remove it. Any site which has a large staff is going to be able to remove spam before most people notice.

It has nothing to do with their software, which people buy into and end up using. And the fact of the matter is IPB sucks at spam control and is not secure in security. Their staff is good at covering that fact up and so people find out the hard way.

Top Bottom