Now that's what I'm talking about!

Adorer

I am in the process of selecting a forum software for my website. It has been some what of an arduous task. I thought it would be as simple as just buying a vBulletin. As I researched a little I have learned that the new vBulletin is, well, almost non-functioning.

The vB5 is full of bugs. The situation is so bad that even on the forum for vB5 there are serious problems. Such as for instance, I registered to ask some important questions and never received my confirmation email. At the top of the page once registered there is a notice which states; although registered the account has not been verified and to verify it via the email that was supposedly sent. A link is provided on that notice to request the email to be resent. However, the link goes to the page to register a new account. So, there is not option to request the email to be resent. What a mess! Meanwhile, until the account is verified people cannot post. I certainly wouldn't want my potential visitors to be so frustrated and unable to register. On the other hand with xenforo by the time I opened my email the verification email had already arrived. Now that's what I am talking about! :)

I had definitely decided not to get vB5 but I like vB4. I am not exploring the possibility of Xenforo especially after learning that it is a start up by the guys that worked on vBulletin before it was bought off.

So, I am seriously considering Xenforo. I have been exploring it on digitalpoint. Now, what I like about vB4 is that it is a more advance version of what is being used here: www.catholic.com I have participated in that forum and there is really a community there. I think there are features of the vb they are using which really contribute to the community atmosphere.

Here are some of the features that I like of the vb (2/3/4/?) and I wonder if I were to buy xenforo if I can customize it to provide these features.

1. I like the private profile of the vb at the link provided - it's very personal.
2. I like it that the information of the poster is at the top and not to the left.

Can you please tell me what are the great advantages of xenforo over other forum softwares?

Thank you for your time.

I am in the process of selecting a forum software for my website. It has been some what of an arduous task. I thought it would be as simple as just buying a vBulletin. As I researched a little I have learned that the new vBulletin is, well, almost non-functioning.

The vB5 is full of bugs. The situation is so bad that even on the forum for vB5 there are serious problems. Such as for instance, I registered to ask some important questions and never received my confirmation email. At the top of the page once registered there is a notice which states; although registered the account has not been verified and to verify it via the email that was supposedly sent. A link is provided on that notice to request the email to be resent. However, the link goes to the page to register a new account. So, there is not option to request the email to be resent. What a mess! Meanwhile, until the account is verified people cannot post. I certainly wouldn't want my potential visitors to be so frustrated and unable to register. On the other hand with xenforo by the time I opened my email the verification email had already arrived. Now that's what I am talking about! :)

I had definitely decided not to get vB5 but I like vB4. I am not exploring the possibility of Xenforo especially after learning that it is a start up by the guys that worked on vBulletin before it was bought off.

So, I am seriously considering Xenforo. I have been exploring it on digitalpoint. Now, what I like about vB4 is that it is a more advance version of what is being used here: www.catholic.com I have participated in that forum and there is really a community there. I think there are features of the vb they are using which really contribute to the community atmosphere.

Here are some of the features that I like of the vb (2/3/4/?) and I wonder if I were to buy xenforo if I can customize it to provide these features.

1. I like the private profile of the vb at the link provided - it's very personal.
2. I like it that the information of the poster is at the top and not to the left.

Can you please tell me what are the great advantages of xenforo over other forum softwares?

Thank you for your time.
Oooops. Please delete this second post . My computer crashed when I clicked post and when it came back on I clicked it again. I didn't think it went through. Sorry - please delete. Thanks.

I am not sure what you are referring to here, profile links at that site look like this to me .../member.php?u=NUMBERS_HERE, on this site your profile link is http://xenforo.com/community/members/adorer.78717/ which to me when just looking at the link alone tells me much more information.

A horizontal postbit (in the case of xf it is the .messageUserInfo block, and I am not too sure what other forum software titles call this area) can be done with styling alone or if you need something more custom you can modify some templates and repurpose them in your own image.

A positive advantage for xenforo...people like me who showed up here some time ago not knowing much about coding addons or custom styling can learn and work with a well made system to do my own thing on top of it like building addons and a custom style that google page speed says is kickass.

.webp
So yeah again ... thanks Xenforo

When you compare with that tool against Cnn

cnn.webp

or Fox

fox.webp

...you can see clearly the advantages...a magic moron like myself can show up and do something like this on top of this platform...I have used other software titles but for the sake of not bashing I will refrain from saying anything negative about my other experiences with other titles and only focus on their positives...which leaves me saying nothing else about them or using them as a comparison tool and just wishing you the best of luck when you do choose to use the best forum software out there right now (hint...you are here already).

Top Bottom