1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not working as expected with member only forums

Discussion in 'Enhanced Search Support' started by Mr Lucky, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I was assuming that elastic search would give results based on he permissions of the seracher.

For example if there is a forum that is viewable only by registered members, then when a member does a search, there would be results from that forum.

However that is not happening.

Is there possibly some setting I'm missing somewhere?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Search results take permissions into account.

Content will only be fetched if the user has permission to view it.

3. Mr Lucky

OK well something is seriously wrong then as it's not finding stuff that I have permissions for. I guess I will need to submit a ticket.

4. Mr Lucky

Just found it's also not finding some things in public forums. Google is finding them but not the xenforo search.

5. Brogan

Can you link to an example thread/content which isn't being found via search?

6. Mr Lucky

No, because it's working again after rebuilding the search index.

Seems that upgrading to 1.4.4 was the issue. It may worth mentioning in Post Upgrade Checks to rebuild the search index.

7. Brogan

Upgrading doesn't require a rebuild of the search index.

Something else must have caused it.
    You may have to do some investigation to determine why that content wasn't indexed.

8. Mr Lucky

What I realised was that before reindexing the only results from the search that came back were post upgrading, so wouldn't that imply it was the upgrade?

9. Brogan

If there was a general problem with the upgrade script we would have had many more reports.

It could be any number of things, including an add-on, server related, a problem with elasticsearch, etc.

10. Mr Lucky

I believe you, just saying that as far as I know it was working before the upgrade. No addons were changed or added recently, then suddenly only search results post upgrade show.

EDIT: plus the host is one that comes highly recommended on here, including from staff I believe, and they advertise as being up on xenforo so I will ask them if they can investigate any server issues.