XF 1.2 Non-Pop-Up SubForum Listing Format

CivilWarTalk

Is it possible to change the layout of the subforums list while pop-ups are disabled?

Right now the sub forums are listed in order by rows, rather than in order by columns. This means if I have forums pre-sorted in alphabetical order in the admin CP, the subforum menu shows

Forum A Forum B Forum C
Forum D Forum E Forum F
Forum G Forum H Forum I
Forum J Forum K Forum L
etc.....

I would rather see:

Forum A Forum G
Forum B Forum H
Forum C Forum I
Forum D Forum J
Forum E Forum K
Forum F Forum L

This seems more aesthetically pleasing, as well as more practical.

Is it possible to change the layout of the subforums list while pop-ups are disabled?

Right now the sub forums are listed in order by rows, rather than in order by columns. This means if I have forums pre-sorted in alphabetical order in the admin CP, the subforum menu shows

Forum A Forum B Forum C
Forum D Forum E Forum F
Forum G Forum H Forum I
Forum J Forum K Forum L
etc.....

I would rather see:

Forum A Forum G
Forum B Forum H
Forum C Forum I
Forum D Forum J
Forum E Forum K
Forum F Forum L

This seems more aesthetically pleasing, as well as more practical.

Add the following in EXTRA.CSS and adjust the pixel size of the subforum li to suit.

Code:
.nodeList .node .subForumList li { width: 250px; } 
.nodeList .node .subForumList {width: 50%;}

Screenshot_10.webp

Reactions: IPF
Add the following in EXTRA.CSS and adjust the pixel size of the subforum li to suit.

Code:
.nodeList .node .subForumList li { width: 250px; }
.nodeList .node .subForumList {width: 50%;}

View attachment 53515

That's good, and I like that, but it's not exactly what I meant. Perhaps this isn't a "styling" issue in the traditional sense.

I'll simplify my example. In a stock install, if subforums are displayed, and are sorted in the admin CP by alphabetical order, the forums sort this way:

A B C D E
F G H I J
K L M N O
P Q R S T
U V W X Y

I would prefer sorting this way:

A F K P U
B G L Q V
C H M R W
D I N S X
E J O T Y

That's good, and I like that, but it's not exactly what I meant. Perhaps this isn't a "styling" issue in the traditional sense.

I'll simplify my example. In a stock install, if subforums are displayed, and are sorted in the admin CP by alphabetical order, the forums sort this way:

A B C D E
F G H I J
K L M N O
P Q R S T
U V W X Y

I would prefer sorting this way:

A F K P U
B G L Q V
C H M R W
D I N S X
E J O T Y

Ah yeah I see what you mean. I might be mistaken but I'm quite sure this will require a template edit or require an add-on of some sort. Perhaps @King Kovifor or @Brogan can jump in here and dismiss/confirm that.

What Paul said, and it may be rather difficult to even order it like that in columns and columns so it isn't one obnoxiously long column.

Top Bottom