As designed No notifications for new threads/messages if option unchecked.

siONtI

Affected version
Having the option "Receive an alert when someone… Replies to a watched thread " unchecked will make it so you don't get notifications from forums or subforums for new threads or new replies in those forums, even if the forum settings for New Threads or New Replies are checked.

This will produce 0 alerts if the option mentioned at the start is unchecked. Regardless of if it's new threads or new messages.

Unfortunately this is mostly expected and I don't see us making any changes here (it will have been the same since watching forums was introduced back in XF 1.2).

The trigger for a watched forum/thread notification is simply the post being inserted, so the Replies to a watched thread setting covers both cases.

@Chris D After upgrading from XF 1.5 to XF2 last month many users reported this issue to me. I still think something is wrong with that option because i don't want to receive alerts for replies on threads i watch but i do want to receive alerts when a new thread is posted on a forum i'm watching (with that option disabled i don't get any alerts)..

I'm watching those forums since 2 weeks with Replies to a watched thread option disabled.
But i haven't received any alerts for new threads posted on those forums.

I don’t really have any further to add. It’s a reasonable suggestion for change (so feel free to create a suggestion thread) but as I already explained there is no distinction in the alert system between a new post being inserted into an existing thread or a new post being inserted as a new thread. With that in mind, if you opt out of those alerts you will not get watched thread or watched forum alerts.

That’s just the way it works (and always has done).

Top Bottom