New users from Turkey

TPerry

Anyone else noticing a significant uptick in registration attempts (they end up failing on my site) from Turkey? Used to be it was Pakistan and India based IP's that I was getting a lot of failed registrations from, but lately Turkey has taken the lead.

Last edited:
Anyone else noticing a significant uptick in registration attempts (they end up failing on my site) from Turkey. Used to be it was Pakistan and India based IP's that I was getting a lot of failed registrations from, but lately Turkey has taken the lead.
Need to check. I kicked some attempts from the queue on the weekend but didn't really look to see their point of origin. I know that, like you, Pakistan has been a problem at times in the past. I have a large block from someplace there, Lahore maybe, blocked via cpanel.

Need to check. I kicked some attempts from the queue on the weekend but didn't really look to see their point of origin. I know that, like you, Pakistan has been a problem at times in the past. I have a large block from someplace there, Lahore maybe, blocked via cpanel.
I just happened to be looking at my "online users" list, and 6 of the 10 online users were "registering" from Turkey.. so it may be another "vulnerable" point to look towards.

It's just going to depend upon how visible your site is to different regions. Over the years I've seen traffic spikes from various countries and it's usually related to some backlinks posted somewhere that regional traffic was finding it. I've largely banned IP ranges from many countries like Russia, China, etc which only ever sent me spam traffic.

Yeah, but other than Reddit... I don't know of my site links getting out anywhere... I don't block China since they are a major producer of many of the devices that are used in my niche, and I actually get valid visitors from there. Russia.... last I checked, it was blocked just on general reasons.

I've never found China to be that big of a problem. South Asia, esp. Pakistan, and Eastern Europe and Russia have always been my big spam originators. And a smattering from other regions that often turn out to be proxies or Tor nodes.

Top Bottom