Lack of interest New user - create default alert

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

James

It's inevitable that when we install this software, a lot of our board are going to be completely baffled by talk of Alerts and Private Conversations and so on.

I think when a user registers they should receive some kind of alert straight away, even if this alert just says "Remember to fill in your profile" or it could link someone to an introduction.

I will be creating a page about XenForo when I buy the product and all the features that I feel my users need to know, but a generic alert to get them used to alerts would be helpful.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This should be better in a notice system [tmi?] than the alerts system where you say we got new features, rules, tos etc.

The principle behind the alerts system is You get Alerted for things you participate in and it's changes.

@Above, shouldn't it be TBI? :P
This should be better in a notice system [tmi?] than the alerts system where you say we got new features, rules, tos etc.

The principle behind the alerts system is You get Alerted for things you participate in and it's changes.
Technically when you register you are participating in the forum. What better way to learn about a new feature than to dive right in? As soon as I see that red speech bubble I am going to click it wondering what it is. I'd be more susceptible to do this than read an essay explaining the features, don't you think?

@Above, shouldn't it be TBI? :p

Technically when you register you are participating in the forum. What better way to learn about a new feature than to dive right in? As soon as I see that red speech bubble I am going to click it wondering what it is. I'd be more susceptible to do this than read an essay explaining the features, don't you think?
yeah i don't know what i was thinking when i say tmi. I believe features should be self explanatory though but a nice page explaining it shouldn't do no harm .

I totally agree with the fact that new users should be guided to use this system as much as possible. Okay, okay... a simple to use, intuitive system like this should not really need any comprehensive help files, but let me tell you that I dearly missed this in the bloated and sometimes unclear UI of vBulletin. That is why I suggested this to vBulletin:

I would dearly miss the great Notices system that vB3.8 comes with. If you guys can implement something like that (and improve it, like we have requested here for so long :mad:), it would be truly awesom.

A sophisticated Notices System in xenForo can be used for example to show new members how certain functionality works in xenForo. You know, if it would be possible to check for example on certain conditions like 'has the user uploaded his/her own avatar?' or 'Did the user ever used the private conversations feature?' ... then the software could display a help text (with guiding images) to explain to the user how to do it! We have suggested this many many times overthere at vBulletin, but it was never picked up.

... and I am suggesting it now as well to XenForo. Wouldn't it be just amazingly user friendly and at the same generate much more activity if XenForo presents great looking (supported by images) Notices to the enduser, informing and guiding them to functionality they never used before?! It would be like having the 'Have You Seen'? forum, provided to the enduser in compact form and in a condition based context-sensitive manner! It would be totally awesome. :cool:

I do feel we need to let people know about the features (kinda like a guided tour). Imagine how many of our older audiences will find forums so much easier if they had a tour on how to do stuff!

Isn't there a BIG help button at the top, especially made for users?
I'm pretty sure you can add as many topics you want there:
This section will be expanded over time.

Isn't there a BIG help button at the top, especially made for users?
I'm pretty sure you can add as many topics you want there:
This section will be expanded over time.
Are you going to read the whole help system? I feel, personally, if you are completely new to this then the red alert will attract your eye. You hover over it and voila, you've discovered the alerts feature. Discovery is always much more fun than reading about it.

Are you going to read the whole help system?
No, just the section for new members, who is right in front of me when I open the Help. The same way any software works. Plus, the new member will discover the alerts when he makes his first post.

Top Bottom