Implemented New Updates

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
@Martok, no that's not what I mean. I would like to get a similar output you get in New Posts, for Resource updates only. For example, this add-on has 3 updates at the bottom:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/extra-portal.2321/

The New Updates option would list all updates paginated, the same way New Posts are displayed.
I hope I explained well enough, please let me know. :)

Further, some people are interested to read only the updates to various tutorials, add-ons etc. With the current setup, you have to click 2 times through each resource to see what was updated, while with the list everything is in front of your eyes. IMO, it makes sense to have this feature, the same way you use to check for new posts... instead of clicking through each thread to see what was posted new.

I think I get what you mean. However the New Posts page doesn't actually show new posts, it just lists the threads that contain new posts in them. So I think you are asking for something different to the way New Posts works? Otherwise what you would get is effectively the Latest Updates tab.

The issue with this (as with Profile Posts) is there is no read tracking of the Resources. It's the read tracking that allows the New Posts to show what is new for each individual user. I think this would be quite a big change if it was implemented.

So I think you are asking for something different to the way New Posts works? Otherwise what you would get is effectively the Latest Updates tab.
Ya, instead of the thread title and forum per line, I would like to get the update title and resource per line.
I cannot post links to my site, but this is the idea behind: Say I release a tutorial, about OpenSSL's latest release available on repository. 5 days later I post a security update. I want to show that important update to users directly, not forcing them to click on the resource first. Most of users do not even know there is an update present as there is nothing different from what they saw last time they visited the site. If resource titles would be bold like they are for new threads, that would help... but you get the logic for sure.

Another way to improve this issue is to display the latest update on resources front page, below the summary line:

update.webp

The update will be a link to latest update, I added the text quickly with no fancy mini tags like the Featured one. That would be an alternate solution, IMO. But still, the New Update feature will help a lot the users because they have a quick glance at all updates for a resource category, etc.

Last edited:
The issue with this (as with Profile Posts) is there is no read tracking of the Resources. It's the read tracking that allows the New Posts to show what is new for each individual user. I think this would be quite a big change if it was implemented.
Very good point, it would be practically impossible to have it released on time for XF 1.4. But the read tracking is vital IMO, it will cover many important features (my personal opinion) missing from Resources.

Now that XF 1.4 has implemented 'new profile posts' on the find-new page, its counter-intuitive that the page does not include a 'new resources' tab. (which should include updates)

Top Bottom