Lack of interest New Threads should have its own tab

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

AndyB

I would like to see New Threads have it's own tab. The reason is that it's the single most important function on a forum. With that said, the second most important function on a forum is the Forum tab.

One thing I find completely unintuitive is to click the Forum tab when it's already highlighted. We do this when viewing the New Threads results. If there was a separate tab for the New Threads, it would make clicking back and forth between the two most used functions more understandable.

Another benefit of having a New threads tab is that it would be easier to click the larger tab not only on desktops but tablets and mobile phones.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I find it completely unintuitive that new threads displays what any other forum solution would call new posts, that is it displays threads of any age that have unread posts.

A 'what's new' tab with three sub-sections: unread messages (what is currently called new threads), all recent messages (as it is), and latest threads (new threads listed by thread creation date) would be perfect.

That link seems appropriately categorized under the default Forums tab.

FYI, you can add a new tab for that link using NodesAsTabs. You would first enable tab selection for link-forums:

Admin CP -> Home -> Nodes As Tabs -> Enable Tab Selection For Link-forums

Then create nodes like this:

New Threads (link-forum pointing to find-new/threads, is Tab, child links not enabled)
-- find-new (link-forum pointing to find-new, child of "New Threads" node, this is only to ensure that all find-new pages select the parent tab, this link isn't actually visible since the parent tab has child links disabled)

Hi Jake,

I appreciate the information. However I would like to see the default Xenforo with a New Threads tab so that when I browse different Xenforo forums the location of this most important link would be in the same place.

I doubt what is rightly a secondary link will ever be promoted to a main tab.

It would be inconsistent with the other main tabs.

when I browse different Xenforo forums the location of this most important link would be in the same place.
It already is in the same place on every XenForo forum.

Last edited:

Agreed.

I've always felt, at the end of tablinks was the perfect placement. Easy to notice, easy to click, voila job done. It's simplicity is really it's key to success and why it's deemed one of the most important links in the nav area. This is a case of "if it's not broken, don't try to fix it" imo.

It already is in the same place on every XenForo forum.

Perhaps it would make more sense to have a Threads main tab and have Watched Threads and New Threads as the secondary links below it.

But where would "Threads" link to? All the tabs in v1.2 now have sub-menus / content and link to a meaningful/useful place. (Well, default tabs that is).

Which is inconsistant with how the other default tabs function. The current hierarchy makes sense (threads are a sub-set of forums) and remains consistent with everything else.

Which is inconsistant with how the other default tabs function. The current hierarchy makes sense (threads are a sub-set of forums) and remains consistent with everything else.

The main problem as I see it is once you're viewing the New Threads results, it's not obvious how to get back to viewing the Forum-View. It's not clear that clicking the Forums tab which is already highlighted is what needs to be clicked. I think there's room for improvement over the current design.

Does viewing this thread give you the same confusion? The breadcrumbs also remain visible with "Forums" listed, as it does in anything that is hierarchically underneath it.

Does viewing this thread give you the same confusion? The breadcrumbs also remain visible with "Forums" listed, as it does in anything that is hierarchically underneath it.

It doesn't confuse me at all, but that's because I've been using forum software for 13 years.

What I wrote was it's not obvious that clicking a tab that is already highlighted will show the Forum-View. I'm thinking from a new users perspective which is sometimes difficult for us to do since we've been using forum software for many years.

But if they have confusion with regards to the New Threads link being under the focussed Forums tab then they will have the same confusion with all other links under all other focussed tabs.

Breadcrumbs in XenForo are consistant with virtually every other software I've seen them used in. Tabs in XenForo are consistent with plenty of other software in the forum industry and non-forum industry (I'm looking at and working on an eCommerce site for work that has tabs that function identical to XenForo).

What makes "New Threads" so confusing that isn't confusing for users elsewhere on the site, such as viewing a thread, forum, or account page?

Top Bottom