Lack of interest New Threads should have its own tab

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

AndyB

I would like to see New Threads have it's own tab. The reason is that it's the single most important function on a forum. With that said, the second most important function on a forum is the Forum tab.

One thing I find completely unintuitive is to click the Forum tab when it's already highlighted. We do this when viewing the New Threads results. If there was a separate tab for the New Threads, it would make clicking back and forth between the two most used functions more understandable.

Another benefit of having a New threads tab is that it would be easier to click the larger tab not only on desktops but tablets and mobile phones.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
and i think a tab is pretty great for important things, rather than only those things that fit some rigid criteria dictating an outline-format.
notice xf themselves put an important tab in the nav 'buy xenforo'. they didnt put as a sublink in forum, because it pertained to the forum.
i wont argue this too stridently though. the circular logic used to refute the idea is like something out of monty python.

For everyone clamoring for New threads to have a Tab ...
try a mobile style.
1776-png.47800

Mark Forums Read (almost never used) is in Prime Screen Real Estate, and [New Threads] is buried in the .... !!!!

[source]

For everyone clamoring for New threads to have a Tab ...
try a mobile style.
1776-png.47800

Mark Forums Read (almost never used) is in Prime Screen Real Estate, and [New Threads] is buried in the .... !!!!

[source]

strange, I just looked at xenforo.com via my Android-mobile and does not show "Mark Forums Read" at all.
It just shows "Search Forums" and "New Threads" as Subtabs of the main "Forums"-Tab.

:confused:

strange, I just looked at xenforo.com via my Android-mobile and does not show "Mark Forums Read" at all. :confused:
They probably implemented the change.
I'll check my iphone.

Nope.

Safari on iphone (iphone 4S, iOS 5.x) shows Mark Forums read
and Chrome on iphone shows Search Forums.
heh.

Last edited:
They probably implemented the change.
I'll check my iphone.

Nope.

Safari on iphone shows Mark Forums read
and Chrome on iphone shows Search Forums.
heh.

hmmm... no idea why it is different.
I am using a "Samsung Nexus S" with Android-version "4.1.2"

Definitely, "Mark Forums Read" does not show on my phone..... which is good :)

Maybe someone else can have a look on Android ?

hmmm... no idea why it is different.
I am using a "Samsung Nexus S" with Android-version "4.1.2"

Definitely, "Mark Forums Read" does not show on my phone..... which is good :)

Maybe someone else can have a look on Android ?

Galaxy s3 4.1.2 mark forums read shows top left next to new threads.

Whether it follows "forum logic" as far as designers and veteran forum junkies are concerned is less important in THIS case than how it seems to the main body of users. THIS function is the mainstay, the key way a whole mass of users actually use forums.

From user perspective the top tabs are "The Important Areas"
Talking about whether these are 'places' doesn't make sense. Places are pages, and these are pages. To a user there is little difference between opening a forum with a list of threads, and opening a search like New Posts, with a list of threads. It's as if this is a forum called New Posts.

Whether these searches belong under other tabs is not important. They can appear there as well. What matters is that THIS collection of pages - the searches - can all be found TOGETHER. That needs a navtab.

Anyone confused by the navigation both now and in the past should not be using forums. ... I'm not buying into the whole "novice is confused thing".
Tough lady! You're not allowing people to come on forums and learn them!

Whether it follows "forum logic" as far as designers and veteran forum junkies are concerned is less important in THIS case than how it seems to the main body of users. THIS function is the mainstay, the key way a whole mass of users actually use forums.

Talking about whether these are 'places' doesn't make sense. Places are pages, and these are pages. To a user there is little difference between opening a forum with a list of threads, and opening a search like New Posts, with a list of threads. It's as if this is a forum called New Posts.

Whether these searches belong under other tabs is not important. They can appear there as well. What matters is that THIS collection of pages - the searches - can all be found TOGETHER. That needs a navtab.

Thankfully I think this applies to x1 individual. I regard people as intelligent enough to know what's what and don't see them as people who can't grasp the navigation.

To be honest, this group of users you seem to know don't seem to be prevalent on everyone else's forums. I've yet to see anyone confuse half the things you insist users find confusing.

To be honest, this group of users you seem to know don't seem to be prevalent on everyone else's forums. I've yet to see anyone confuse half the things you insist users find confusing.
Keep an eye out! lol. Depends how many forums you visit maybe, or how much you go to newcomer threads. Dunno, I just se it a LOT that people get confused easily, and that THIS search on New stuff is the primary usage for timid users.
I also get a lot of private support requests on two of my bpards that illustrate the confusion levels.
In navig design generally a good principle is if people can get confused, some will. Humans!

If you want to sell, or provide sensitive personal support, both of which I do, this is crucial. If you're handling a board mainly about discussion and information it's a lot less critical which I think is your zone - you do after all work with admins, a pretty siphiticated group of users.
If your sales depend on people staying clearheaded, or vulnerable people not feeling more bewildered than they do already, then absolutely brutally simple navig is needed.

Keep an eye out! lol. Depends how many forums you visit maybe, or how much you go to newcomer threads. Dunno, I just se it a LOT that people get confused easily, and that THIS search on New stuff is the primary usage for timid users.
I also get a lot of private support requests on two of my bpards that illustrate the confusion levels.
In navig design generally a good principle is if people can get confused, some will. Humans!

If you want to sell, or provide sensitive personal support, both of which I do, this is crucial. If you're handling a board mainly about discussion and information it's a lot less critical which I think is your zone - you do after all work with admins, a pretty siphiticated group of users.
If your sales depend on people staying clearheaded, or vulnerable people not feeling more bewildered than they do already, then absolutely brutally simple navig is needed.

Have you considered that it's not your members that are confused, but it's your site layout and, maybe your admin methods, that are confusing?

I visit many sites. One of the many things I do is help people out with their forums, set ups, troubleshooting.... and even the most basic member has a firm grasp on the things you claim are confusing to them. I understand that you believe this and I respect that you do.. but I do not, for a second, believe your claim that most users feel this way.

I also run many sites that have absolutely nothing to do with administration - tv discussions, specific show discussions, book discussions and general chat - which are filled with your average everyday common forum member.

Last edited:
Top Bottom