1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New life for QUOTES by Alerts

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by kyrgyz, Oct 4, 2010.

1. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

XenForo's alert system kicks other forum engines' butts Muay Thai style which means HARD. XenForo is in a way reinventing forum interaction. For example, take quotes. If I wanna make sure the user gets my message I just quote him or her. VoilĂ ! If I don't really care about his or her response, I just reply without quoting.

All of a sudden, quotes became an invaluable tool for me. :eek:

Let's see how long it's gonna be before vB and IPB adopt XenForo's alert system.
    Defqon likes this.
  2. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

I find quote alerts very useful from a moderator stand-point. When a question is asked, members can view their quote alerts to see if a staff member replied (if they choose to receive alerts for quoting). I can view mine as well to see if anyone quoted a post I made so I can follow up if need be. An unexpected, and very valuable feedback tool in my opinion.
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Fully agree.

I find myself quoting a lot more often now, knowing that the person quoted will be aware of my reply, assuming of course they have alerts for quotes active.
  4. 3rd AnGle

3rd AnGle Well-Known Member

That little red thingy is what's eating up my office hours here :cool:
  5. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

I suppose quote alerts are turned on by default since I didn't tinker with my account here whatsoever.
  6. Brogan

All Alert Preferences are set to on by default.
  7. Gravity

Gravity Member

I hadn't thought of that, it's like an unspoken way to communicate with the person you're quoting, like a friendly poke.
  8. Brogan

Of course the drawback is threads are full of quotes and post tables (SQL) are going to get bigger, quicker :D
  9. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Quote alerts are great. I have a 'Who quoted me' modification ATM (it's just a page with the posts you got quoted on, no alert) but this is obviously much better.