• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New iMacs seem to be awesome

Hello Community,

Just looked at the specs of the new iMacs of 2017, they seem to be really awesome.

500 nits 5k retina display
1 tb fusion drive
Radeon Pro 575
Kaby Lake cpu

I wish i would waited before purchasing the iMac 21.5 inc late 2015, i may sell it and purchase the 27 inc one.

Regards

Tracy Perry

I'm more interested in the iMac Pro coming out later this year. It's expensive, though.
When is it ever not?
I'd love to have one, but can't justify it for what I do with a computer. Now, laptop may be another issue and am working on getting one for free.

Dalton Prock

Not bad at all, if only I could afford something like that on my salary. But it was a big surprise to a lot of us, can't wait to start seeing folks using them though.

JulianD

What about the refreshed MacBook Pros? I am considering the new entry level MBP to replace my 2011 MBP. At $1300 it's a deal I cannot pass up!

I absolutely love my iMac 27" 5K Retina, it's a very good investment for the type of work I do with design & development.

Although, the new iMac Pro is looking tempting too! Maybe when the price goes down a bit.

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
The whole point of a powerful desktop system is to play games or run applications that stress the system. But I will never do that on a Mac because their cooling systems have been underpowered for 15 years since the death of the traditional tower form factor in the Mac lineup. I tried playing games on my mini and it overheated and crashed. I tried playing games on my Macbook Pro and it overheated and developed graphical artifacting. The iMac has a similarly minimal cooling system so I would expect the same problems when you max out the system.

Lucas

I am grabbing myself an MBP 15" 2016 with an eGPU. There is a 20% loss of performance but I do not want to invest in a full computer and have a tower taking space. Fantastic solution! There's several enclosures and companies throwing out complete eGPU solutions. We will see how it goes!

rainmotorsports

That $1300 is only going to get you a dual core processor and 128gb of storage ;)
Right like WTF. At $1300 in a gaming laptop you would have a Quad Core i7, 16GB of ram, a GTX 1060, storage is up in the air but for no more than $1500 you would have that with at least a 256gb ssd paired with a 2TB slow disk. The screens are hit and miss. Can get a 4K screen in last years quad core i7 for around $900. I am just looking at 1080P but I have run into one model where the screen is the true compromise at its price and its a bit too much for me.

I am liking the Quad USB-C's this year though.

nanocode

Formerly Apantic
The whole point of a powerful desktop system is to play games or run applications that stress the system. But I will never do that on a Mac because their cooling systems have been underpowered for 15 years since the death of the traditional tower form factor in the Mac lineup. I tried playing games on my mini and it overheated and crashed. I tried playing games on my Macbook Pro and it overheated and developed graphical artifacting. The iMac has a similarly minimal cooling system so I would expect the same problems when you max out the system.
They aren't made for gaming, Macbooks. They're made for people that prioritise aesthetics, but I think mainly for certain careers like project managers, artists, and programmers too. Based off a *nix system, it's great for development and better than the horrors that come with Windows. I'm a lot more comfortable developing on my Mac when compared to my computer (which is of a much higher spec). I think Macs have their purpose and powerful desktops have their own benefits, too.