Need some help deciding ...

Davyc

OK I'm in the market for a new computer and I'm torn. I've used Windows machines all my life since 3.1 and have never used a Mac. Likewise, I've always used Android mobile phones but have finally ventured in iPhone territory with an iPhone 14 pro and I love it.

So, my dilemma stands as such go I for this Windows machine:

1679586971003.png

Or do I go for this Mac Mini m2 Pro?

1679587030568.png

I'm tempted by both, but it's really hard to choose especially when I've never used a Mac and will need to get used to a new way of thinking as well as working. I can use pretty much the same software that I'm used to on both - Photoshop, Office and few others.

Which would you go for?

I use both, windows for gaming and mac for day to day stuff including my job (software engineer) and other things that aren't games.
It really just depends on what you will be needing the computer for. Macs can game (but it just depends on if your game can run on macos) but it isn't the best for it.

Personally windows, cheaper and powerful. I want to get windows machine too, as editing 5K videos on my laptop takes ages. Definitely won't go for Apple. I made a gift to my gf Huawei P30 pro phone 2 years ago, now she purchased Iphone 14mini and the phone is way behind the Huawei, is all hype and marketing.

But it depending on your needs and also pocket size ;)

Personally windows, cheaper and powerful. I want to get windows machine too, as editing 5K videos on my laptop takes ages. Definitely won't go for Apple. I made a gift to my gf Huawei P30 pro phone 2 years ago, now she purchased Iphone 14mini and the phone is way behind the Huawei, is all hype and marketing.

But it depending on your needs and also pocket size ;)
To be fair you comparing the pro line of one phone to the mini line of another, even if the pro is 2 years older it's going to beat the "budget" option from the other.

To be fair you comparing the pro line of one phone to the mini line of another, even if the pro is 2 years older it's going to beat the "budget" option from the other.
We talking about 2 years development, so in theory you'd expect new phones to be better than competitors, not even talking about 2 years old model. I'm still using 4 years old Huawei phone, and would never touch Appe products.

We talking about 2 years development, so in theory you'd expect new phones to be better than competitors, not even talking about 2 years old model. I'm still using 4 years old Huawei phone, and would never touch Appe products.
You'd be correct, if you weren't trying to compare a budget model to a pro model, but instead you're being disingenuous.
Now if you compare the Huawei P30 Pro to the iPhone 14 Pro the only real advantage the P30 has is a better selfie camera.

I'm not so much into games. I generally play games such as FreeCell and Mahjong, not into shoot 'em ups anymore as they give me a headache. I generally use my computer for graphical and photography use, as well as the usual Word, email, Twitter and browsing. I also do some DTP work for leaflets and posters for the community in which I live. Oh, also Internet Banking and my music as well as my websites. I just want something quiet and runs fast.

As for the phone side of things. I've always been a Samsung user and was tempted to try an iPhone, but one that was on par with the best Samsung, and I wish I'd switched sooner and saved some money in the process. I find my iPhone faster, more secure and feature rich, as well as having stunning cameras which take quality photos. Sometimes it's good to change tack and try something different, which is why I'm really torn between sticking with Windows or switching to Mac.

Thanks to everyone for your input, but I need more please lol.

You'd be correct, if you weren't trying to compare a budget model to a pro model, but instead you're being disingenuous.
Now if you compare the Huawei P30 Pro to the iPhone 14 Pro the only real advantage the P30 has is a better selfie camera.
I don't compare the features. I compare the years of development.

If would compare Huawei 30 Pro with IPhone Pro of that year, IPhone will loose. And don't forget, IPhone 14 Pro cost around £1500, where Huawei P30 Pro I paid £600 at the time. The difference is huge. It's all hype and marketing.

I'm not so much into games. I generally play games such as FreeCell and Mahjong, not into shoot 'em ups anymore as they give me a headache. I generally use my computer for graphical and photography use, as well as the usual Word, email, Twitter and browsing. I also do some DTP work for leaflets and posters for the community in which I live. Oh, also Internet Banking and my music as well as my websites. I just want something quiet and runs fast.

As for the phone side of things. I've always been a Samsung user and was tempted to try an iPhone, but one that was on par with the best Samsung, and I wish I'd switched sooner and saved some money in the process. I find my iPhone faster, more secure and feature rich, as well as having stunning cameras which take quality photos. Sometimes it's good to change tack and try something different, which is why I'm really torn between sticking with Windows or switching to Mac.

Thanks to everyone for your input, but I need more please lol.

Well, I'm a photographer and videographer. For such tasks you need powerfully machine with good dedicated videocard.

Well, I'm a photographer and videographer. For such tasks you need powerfully machine with good dedicated videocard.
Not into video making, so that can be taken out of the equation. Photography, I use Photoshop so that will work on Windows or Mac. I'm told that the GPU in the Mac Mini M2 Pro is outstanding, but that's on paper. I have no real-world comparisons to make a better choice. The only downside I visualise is that the Macs are not upgradable, but then if they are as good as they are being made out to be (reviews abound) the upgrading can also be taken out of the equation. As I'm moving in my later years, I'm no longer interested in tinkering with the innards of my computer if something better comes along in a few years or so and I'm still around lol, then I will move on up the ladder.

At this very moment in time, I'm starting to lean towards the mac but still not 100% sure.

At this very moment in time, I'm starting to lean towards the mac but still not 100% sure.
Then I would recommend to do research on YouTube. I've never had MacBook so I can't really give much advice. I can say that I won't chose Mac as they are really expensive and well behind competitors.

Then I would recommend to do research on YouTube.
Done that too and the reviews are pretty consistent in opinions giving much praise. I'll have to see if there are any that compare Windows based machines against the Mac's. The Mac Mini is not a MacBook BTW, the MacBook is a laptop which I detest regardless of their OS I just can't use them at all. I prefer a desktop machine. I can't say that Apple are behind their competitors, my experience of an iPhone and iPad Air have been nothing but positive, which is why I'm considering the Mac mini, without that experience I would not be asking for advice and would have just gone for the Windows machine. It's a difficult choice for me to make as there is a fair chunk of money to be laid out. I'm aware of the need for a keyboard and mouse, there are alternatives to the Apple variants which are much less expensive, but it's unknown territory for me.

Done that too and the reviews are pretty consistent in opinions giving much praise. I'll have to see if there are any that compare Windows based machines against the Mac's. The Mac Mini is not a MacBook BTW, the MacBook is a laptop which I detest regardless of their OS I just can't use them at all. I prefer a desktop machine. I can't say that Apple are behind their competitors, my experience of an iPhone and iPad Air have been nothing but positive, which is why I'm considering the Mac mini, without that experience I would not be asking for advice and would have just gone for the Windows machine. It's a difficult choice for me to make as there is a fair chunk of money to be laid out. I'm aware of the need for a keyboard and mouse, there are alternatives to the Apple variants which are much less expensive, but it's unknown territory for me.
Then give it a try then if you'd like to explore something else and you got cash for that too.

I currently own and use the Mac M1 Studio and it out performs my Windows rig which I upgraded about a year ago so the M2 should be way way more than you need it for @Davyc.
When it comes to mouse and keyboard you can use anything you want, doesn't have to be apple. I use my Corsair gaming keyboard and my Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless mouse just fine.

I don't compare the features. I compare the years of development.

If would compare Huawei 30 Pro with IPhone Pro of that year, IPhone will loose. And don't forget, IPhone 14 Pro cost around £1500, where Huawei P30 Pro I paid £600 at the time. The difference is huge. It's all hype and marketing.
Compared the phones, the P30 Pro only has better cameras. The iPhone beats it in all 3 measurement benchmarks (AnTuTu, GeekBench, GFXBench). I'm no Apple fanboy but for one to hate apple as much as you do you sure haven't done any actual research on the specs of their products when benchmarked vs others. Even going as far as saying you've never used a MacBook when the thread has no mention about a MacBook being looked at. You can say it's all hype and marketing all you want but benchmarks prove otherwise ;).

Compared the phones, the P30 Pro only has better cameras. The iPhone beats it in all 3 measurement benchmarks (AnTuTu, GeekBench, GFXBench). I'm no Apple fanboy but for one to hate apple as much as you do you sure haven't done any actual research on the specs of their products when benchmarked vs others. Even going as far as saying you've never used a MacBook when the thread has no mention about a MacBook being looked at. You can say it's all hype and marketing all you want but benchmarks prove otherwise ;).
That's because you read these on the paper and not actually tried both products. There are downsides on both sides, the most is the price.

I don't hate apple products, I actually using an Ipad, which in my opinion is the only product from Apple that is worth using. When comes to phone, I had an iPhone, after couple of upgrades the battery is dying and you are forced purchasing new iPhone because you used to it, or get new phone.

I've explained above from my experience, not what I've read online. However, I've done lots of research when I purchased Huawei P30 Pro.

My girlfriend she have told me that the Huawei P30 Pro camera was better than she is having it on IPhone 14 mini.

So from my experience with Apple IPhones, I won't throw money where I can get for half of money a better phone with better specs :). But probably you know better than me... So why I'm explaining this to you mate...

I currently own and use the Mac M1 Studio and it out performs my Windows rig which I upgraded about a year ago so the M2 should be way way more than you need it for @Davyc.
When it comes to mouse and keyboard you can use anything you want, doesn't have to be apple. I use my Corsair gaming keyboard and my Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless mouse just fine.

Sorry mate, is not p30, it's P40 Pro.

Done a bit of work for you too,

That's because you read these on the paper and not actually tried both products. There are downsides on both sides, the most is the price.

I don't hate apple products, I actually using an Ipad, which in my opinion is the only product from Apple that is worth using. When comes to phone, I had an iPhone, after couple of upgrades the battery is dying and you are forced purchasing new iPhone because you used to it, or get new phone.

I've explained above from my experience, not what I've read online. However, I've done lots of research when I purchased Huawei P30 Pro.

So from my experience with Apple IPhones, I won't throw money where I can get for half of money a better phone with better specs :). But probably you know better than me... So why I'm explaining this to you mate...

I actually have tried both :), but thanks for assuming, and the iPhone at that time performed better with apps and games. I don't see how the price is a factor when comparing with "years of development", whatever kind of comparison that is.

My girlfriend she have told me that the Huawei P30 Pro camera was better than she is having it on IPhone 14 mini.
Yes because the 14 mini is a budget version phone with lower specced features compared to a Pro model, but that doesn't matter because years of development!

That link still shows what I stated. The Huawei having better cameras and still getting out performed by the iPhone.
However the battery life is when the Iphone will fall, as they are pushing these upgrades that consumes and damages you battery life span. That's from my experience.

Top Bottom