Need server help - website constantly down

HuskerGarrett

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but honestly I’m out of options and need help.

For the past few days, it’s been very difficult for a large percentage of my members to access my website. For some reason, it so lay happening with certain devices and through certain IP addresses. For example, sometimes I can get on the forum with my phone but not my laptop, sometimes vice versa. Sometimes people can’t access it at all and then they can using a VPN.

Does anyone know what this issue could be? GoDaddy has looked into it ten times now and just say “everything looks normal”

www.theplatinumboard.com

Does anyone know what this issue could be? GoDaddy has looked into it ten times now and just say “everything looks normal”
Are you actually hosting with Go-Daddy?
It could easily be that you are exceeding connection limits that they impose, either mySQL or other. You could also be on the verge of exceeding other limits on the hosting plan (at one time I think they and HostGator restricted the number of inodes per hosting instance - think of an inode as a "file location on the drive"). Some hosts restrict you to a specific number of inodes and exceeding that could cause some issues if they were temp files that were causing the over limit situation.

You should be able to look in your hosting control panel at the error logs. Have you done this yet?

As for someone to help.. @MattW would be about the ONLY person I'd ever trust enough on my system to do anything (at OS level) that I've dealt with 1 on 1 here. I don't even trust a lot of the idiots at the hosting companies I have used in the past after seeing some fo the answers to problems they came up with.

Are you actually hosting with Go-Daddy?
It could easily be that you are exceeding connection limits that they impose, either mySQL or other. You could also be on the verge of exceeding other limits on the hosting plan (at one time I think they and HostGator restricted the number of inodes per hosting instance - think of an inode as a "file location on the drive"). Some hosts restrict you to a specific number of inodes and exceeding that could cause some issues if they were temp files that were causing the over limit situation.

You should be able to look in your hosting control panel at the error logs. Have you done this yet?

As for someone to help.. @MattW would be about the ONLY person I'd ever trust enough on my system to do anything (at OS level).
Yes I’m unfortunately really with GoDaddy. My website traffic has jumped probably 200% in the past few days. I tried upgrading to the next business plan but it didn’t help.

I have looked at the error logs but they show nothing. And when I call GoDaddy they just say “everything looks good on our end”

Yes I’m unfortunately really with GoDaddy. My website traffic has jumped probably 200% in the past few days. I tried upgrading to the next business plan but it didn’t help.
In that case, most likely, you are hitting resource limits imposed by you on GoDaddy's hosting. Those would not necessarily show as "errors" in the hosting providers log files but there should be some mention of them in your domain control panel log file(s). I quit using shared hosting and control panels years ago, so I can't direct you exactly where to look.

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but honestly I’m out of options and need help.

For the past few days, it’s been very difficult for a large percentage of my members to access my website. For some reason, it so lay happening with certain devices and through certain IP addresses. For example, sometimes I can get on the forum with my phone but not my laptop, sometimes vice versa. Sometimes people can’t access it at all and then they can using a VPN.

www.theplatinumboard.com
What you need is a solid big server... You will find a very solid hosting company and you will get a solid server. You will set up the server and move your site to that server.

What you need is a solid big server... You will find a very solid hosting company and you will get a solid server. You will set up the server and move your site to that server.
No, he doesn't "need' a "big solid server".
What he needs to do is actually ascertain WHY the issue presents itself (and yes, it is VERY likely a shared hosting issue) but an adequate VPS (2GB RAM. 1-2 vCPU) will typically beat the crap out of most shared hosting providers.
I can almost guarantee you that my current Hetzner VPS would walk ALL over his shared hosting provider... and it's only costing me about $14USD a month.

No, he doesn't "need' a "big solid server".
What he needs to do is actually ascertain WHY the issue presents itself (and yes, it is VERY likely a shared hosting issue) but an adequate VPS (2GB RAM. 1-2 vCPU) will typically beat the crap out of most shared hosting providers.
I can almost guarantee you that my current Hetzner VPS would walk ALL over his shared hosting provider... and it's only costing me about $14USD a month.
I used hetzner vps. I have now solved it by renting a vds server from another company as I was pushing the capacity because it didn't remove it.

If there were affordable vds solutions like Hetzner's vps, I would continue there.

Last edited:
I used hetzner vps. I have now solved it by renting a vds server from another company as I was pushing the capacity because it didn't remove it.

If there were affordable vds solutions like Hetzner's vps, I would continue there.
I can almost guarantee you that the current offering I use from Hetzner, when properly configured would suffice for almost every need you could throw at it without breaking even a minor sweat.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 6.37.07 AM.png

I seriously doubt that the site in your sig would over-tax the above listed VPS instance, which is currently running my site in my sig along with 3 others.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 6.40.53 AM.png

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question but I keep getting emails from “iplayer” that my ipstacks have gone over for the month. I have no idea what this means. Could it be related?

As @Tracy Perry suggested, you really need to look at the logs. It may be something you can fix yourself.

Also, have you defined what 'very difficult to get to the website' means? What errors are the users seeing?

It seems it’s a Xenforo issue and not host, as we set up some test pages outside of the forum and they work fine.

I did have a “country registration check” add on that checked users IP addresses. I deleted it completely but it still seems to be happening. Can anyone think of anything else within Xenforo that could be causing this?

It's possibly a php/compute issue. Can you please confirm you've looked at the logs? Otherwise, we're all just stabbing around in the dark.

Top Bottom