need help with special server config for a big board

Hey AlexT,

thanks a lot for your help. Right now, i'm using php 5.3.10 (as fast-cgi) but i will consider to upgrade to the latest version asap!

Is there a way to figure it out, which php extension is using how much memory?

You can try pmap which shows you the memory map of a single process including its used libraries (extensions).

Find the pid of a single PHP process using ps aux. Then use pmap -d <pid>. Look at the Kbytes column to see where most memory is used.

A more detailed memory map output including separation of memory that is private and memory can be seen with cat /proc/<pid>/smaps

i just figured out something else, what's seems really strange to me:

Mirror of the production system, with deactivated addons and original style: Page Time: 1.1498s - Memory: 81.6586 MB (Peak: 97.3500 MB) - Queries (11, time: 0.0958s, 8.3%) - Included Files (75, XenForo Classes: 55)
Clean install on the same system in a sub-directory: Page Time: 0.1764s - Memory: 9.1337 MB (Peak: 9.9538 MB) - Queries (11, time: 0.0106s, 6.0%) - Included Files (70, XenForo Classes: 50)

Yeah, i did. Those extra included files are for linked forums, etc. Looks pretty normal imo.

Do you use PHP FPM to control your PHP fastcgi processes? Is the site in the sub-directory using the same PHP configuration file as your production site?

Nope, i don't use PHP FPM.

Yeah, the mirror and the clean XF install are both using the exact same configuration.

Hmmm. When you refer to your production system (with deactivated addons and original style) with a total memory usage of ~80MB, did you look at the debug page (&_debug=1) for more information? For instance, do you see one or more MySQL queries that return a high number of rows? Obviously the more rows are returned the more memory is needed. Are you looking at a big thread? I am trying to think of where your productions system (with everything non-standard deactivated) could deviate from your new test install, assuming that all the server settings (PHP) are identical.

Also compare the debug outputs of both installs and look which queries take particularly longer on your production site. The output you posted shows that total query time is about 9x as long as the clean install.

Thanks to Mike, i figured it out where all the memory usage is coming from. Thanks to some addons, the simpleCache in my life system is blown up to around 14MB. I guess i have to deinstall a couple of addons to see which one is using the most part.

Thanks to Mike, i figured it out where all the memory usage is coming from. Thanks to some addons, the simpleCache in my life system is blown up to around 14MB. I guess i have to deinstall a couple of addons to see which one is using the most part.

Good to hear. 14MB seems indeed like an awful amount of data to store in the simpleCache data registry. :eek:

Top Bottom