XF 2.2 Need help understand what is a bot...and what is not!

Hensmon

Hi there

I am new to Xenoforo software and forum management in general. I had a few questions about user registrations that are being flagged as spam. I want to know if these are true spam accounts or if stuff like VPNs cause such a flag. Ultimately I want to be sure I am banning a user correctly and not a true potential member.

The software used to flag spam is this - https://www.stopforumspam.com/

The accounts have been from places like `France, Belgium, Russia, Pakistan, Ukraine'. I have let 2 or 3 of these accounts into the forum and in the 3/4 days that's happened not one has posted any spam related material, but they also don't respond to direct messaging either. The accounts come from a variety of different mail providers too. I am 80% sure they are spam related as the usernames all format similar, for example JohnBootmore or KevinDickinson...western names from Russian/Pakistan mail providers...but sometimes I am not 100% sure and I would love to know for certain (if possible).

Also I am just curious as to what these accounts hope to achieve by registering (if none of them are posting spam)...?

Any info into this would be great,

Thanks.

I have a paid addon that will stop spambots from registering,

Also I am just curious as to what these accounts hope to achieve by registering (if none of them are posting spam)...?
Signature and location links, or sleepers. They register and won't post for quite awhile.

Ok will look into this, thanks @ozzy47

I guess I'm not looking for 100% knowledge into real vs fake users, but just classic indicators and understanding on it. I'm noticing that many accounts are @rambler.ru, which I searched up and doesn't look like a mail provider (don't really know what it is). Oddly these users sometimes add profile pictures and sometimes they don't.

Top Bottom